PDA

View Full Version : 2397 and stereo imaging

gasfan
05-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Just wondering what effect these have on imaging. I understand they have the uncanny ability to prevent you locating point source. What are the pros and cons of these horns? TIA.

Mr. Widget
05-21-2016, 11:36 PM
It's been years since I listened to mine. I did like them enough to not sell them, but can't remember the details of their imaging. I do remember needing to control early reflections as these horns really do have a wide pattern.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
05-22-2016, 01:46 AM
I have used the 2497 in the past too.

Mr Widget is correct.

The 2497 has 140 degree horizontal dispersion.g

The effect of this is a big open presentation but the image is diffuse because the horn is sending early reflections to the immediate room boundaries. This is bad for pin sharp imaging.

What this means to you is that you would need to move the horn/loudspeaker away from room boundaries (at least 4 fee) to reduce the the early reflection or deploy room treatment both

gasfan
05-22-2016, 11:50 AM
I have used the 2497 in the past too.

Mr Widget is correct.

The 2497 has 140 degree horizontal dispersion.g

The effect of this is a big open presentation but the image is diffuse because the horn is sending early reflections to the immediate room boundaries. This is bad for pin sharp imaging.

What this means to you is that you would need to move the horn/loudspeaker away from room boundaries (at least 4 fee) to reduce the the early reflection or deploy room treatment both

I thought the imaging issue was a function of the vanes? What purpose do they serve?

Ian Mackenzie
05-22-2016, 03:49 PM
In your first post you asked for the effect the 2397 has on imaging the pros and cons of using these horns. I have provided a responses.

When you say you "understand" are you saying what someone said "their opinion"?

Unless you have these particular horns to evaluate an armchair discussion on the why's and wherefore' of the horn are academic. It's how they will complement your particular system .
that matters. JBLhad published dispersion curves for you to evaluate. Westlake Audio used a similar style of horn and Austbergers monitors use a horn with vanes. So l would not loose sleep over that.

Hoerninger
05-23-2016, 12:33 AM
... function of the vanes? What purpose do they serve?
Think of a multicellular horn designed for wide dispersion, there is space between the segments. These spaces can be filled, now there are vanes.

There is another point:
The horizontal dispersion is made by several segments, the acoustic source of these is somewhere at the throat of the horn.
The vertical spreading is made by defraction as the height is kept "small" and it does not change all along the way. So the source is at the mouth.
As he brain is not capable to build a source of sound in under these circumstances there is no precice stereo imaging.

(A wide dispersion horn is problematic in a "normal" home environment, of course.)

gasfan
05-23-2016, 05:06 AM
Think of a multicellular horn designed for wide dispersion, there is space between the segments. These spaces can be filled, now there are vanes.

There is another point:
The horizontal dispersion is made by several segments, the acoustic source of these is somewhere at the throat of the horn.
The vertical spreading is made by defraction as the height is kept "small" and it does not change all along the way. So the source is at the mouth.
As he brain is not capable to build a source of sound in under these circumstances there is no precice stereo imaging.

(A wide dispersion horn is problematic in a "normal" home environment, of course.)