PDA

View Full Version : Altec Woofer (33785) Info Please

incredibleh
05-17-2016, 06:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm a vintage audio hobbyist and belong to a couple other forums as well.

I recently scored a pair of Altec Model 9 Series II (33785) woofers and I'm hoping to make some cabinets for them in a 3-way speaker build. I found a lot of info on the web about my woofers, but I'm missing a couple of things that I need to get the most from them. I know my woofers were used in a few Lansing speakers, with similar cabinet volumes (approx 3.2 cubic ft) and crossed over at different frequencies (800Hz-2500Hz).

I'm hoping someone on the forum has experimented with this woofer, or knows the exact specs, so that I can get a decent cab made.

What I need to know:

What is the optimal cabinet volume for this woofer (for lowest decent Hz)?

Are the original cabs open inside, or separated into compartments, etc? (I used the outside dimensions to calculate the approx cab volume mentioned above)

What is the port size and length in the original Model 9 Series II or the Santana, etc?

What is a good crossover point? Can I cross as low as 300Hz, 500Hz, or will it be way out of nominal range that low?

Finally, am I going to have a hard time balancing these woofers with relatively modern mids and tweeters due to their sensitivity?

I appreciate the help in advance. I'm relatively new to speaker building and any comments would be great.

Cheers,

Adam

Earl K
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Hi,

( For your sake ), hopefully someone has used these woofers in a project and will be able to fully respond to your questions.

Keep in mind that these are relatively rare woofers and since they originated from Altec-Lansing ( while this is mostly a JBL forum ), meaningful info might be scarce.

All that being said, a 3 -3.5 cu' enclosure tuned to around 40-45 hz ( give or take a few hz ) should get you close to a very workable alignment.

:)

incredibleh
05-18-2016, 05:23 AM
Thanks for your comments. Could you wager a guess at what the port diameter and length would be?

Hi,

( For your sake ), hopefully someone has used these woofers in a project and will be able to fully respond to your questions.

Keep in mind that these are relatively rare woofers and since they originated from Altec-Lansing ( while this is mostly a JBL forum ), meaningful info might be scarce.

All that being said, a 3 -3.5 cu' enclosure tuned to around 40-45 hz ( give or take a few hz ) should get you close to a very workable alignment.

Earl K
05-18-2016, 06:15 AM
Hi,

According to WinISD Pro; 2 x 3" ( inside diameter ) round tubes , 4" long/deep, provides a 45hz tuning for a 3cu' enclosure .

Here are a couple of pics showing 2 different alignments ( using the Model14 woofer ).

incredibleh
05-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Thanks for doing that Earl! I really appreciate it.

Just so that I'm reading it correctly, that's 2 ports each box, 3" x 4"L?

Hi,

According to WinISD Pro; 2 x 3" ( inside diameter ) round tubes , 4" long/deep, provides a 45hz tuning for a 3cu' enclosure .

Here are a couple of pics showing 2 different alignments ( using the Model14 woofer ).