PDA

View Full Version : Pass Labs or Mcintosh on 4350's

KTG
05-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi again all, have a chance to get a pair of used pass labs xa100.5 for my 4350,s, would like to know if any model monoblock Mcintosh would be equal or better than the PASS? Would be used on woofers only for noe ., thanks

Mr. Widget
05-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Hi again all, have a chance to get a pair of used pass labs xa100.5 for my 4350,s, would like to know if any model monoblock Mcintosh would be equal or better than the PASS? Would be used on woofers only for noe ., thanksIn my opinion the XA100.5 amps are superior to any 100 watt offering by Mac... but I'd use that amp on the top end as that is where it will show what it can do best... almost any solid performer will handle the woofers.

My comments are based on experience with similar applications, but not an exact match.

Widget

KTG
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Ok thanks I will reconsider my set up.

jpw
05-13-2016, 02:53 PM
I agree with Widget. The XA models performer best on the mid and higher frequencies, not that their bass is bad, but if you want subjectively high woofer control they are unexceptional compared to other good solid state amps. Past XA models were not good with 4 ohm speakers, it may be that the .5 versions are better this way. This may or may not effect you with your 4350's. If you are after the ultimate in woofer control and damping factor I would be looking at two different brands. Newer Mac amps have better DF than older ones but still don't measure as high as say Krell or Levinson.

KTG
05-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks, any model numbers come to mind for the brands you suggested? , monoblock if possible., appreciate it