PDA

View Full Version : C36/38 legs/feet dimensions

ARMED
05-10-2016, 09:22 AM
I tried the search function no luck..
anyone here have the dimensions of the feet/leg or any same leg..
please thanks!

JeffW
05-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I looked around on the internet and never saw the actual dimensions from a source I trust. Lots of repros have come on the market, some being put up as originals, makes it hard to be sure without somebody measuring an actual original.

That said, the originals can go for hundreds of dollars a set, and decent but not exact "aluminum legs" can be had for a few bucks each.

BMWCCA
05-11-2016, 05:55 PM
I looked around on the internet and never saw the actual dimensions from a source I trust. Lots of repros have come on the market, some being put up as originals, makes it hard to be sure without somebody measuring an actual original.

That said, the originals can go for hundreds of dollars a set, and decent but not exact "aluminum legs" can be had for a few bucks each.
I have a box of four original aluminum legs stashed away here somewhere (and for original wood/brass, too). I'll see if I can lay my hands on them this weekend, if you haven't already gotten an answer by then.

ARMED
05-11-2016, 11:23 PM
please if you can...:bouncy:
I have a box of four original aluminum legs stashed away here somewhere (and for original wood/brass, too). I'll see if I can lay my hands on them this weekend, if you haven't already gotten an answer by then.

Joseph Smith Jr
05-12-2016, 07:55 AM
please if you can...:bouncy:
Do you just need some legs for your cabs, period? If so, and you're not going for the cast ones, the ready mades are almost a perfect match

I'll try to find my receipts if I still have them for the hardware store replacements I've used; I've installed three sets of them
I need the receipts as I can't remember the dimensions, I just took an original with me and matched them, to one that all the chain stores carry (ACE, Home Depot etc).

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1297665

The wooden ones I had had received so much paint I could not get it off even with stripper, so I tossed them (now, in hindsight, a mistake)
Those short ready made legs they sell at hardware stores are an exact match height wise and even the little footers come close
The only dimension they are lacking in is that they are slightly smaller in diameter at the top were they contact the cabinet bottom, but you wood not see or notice it unless you held it side by side to an original
And, the taper from top to bottom on the new ones isn't as subtle as it is on an original, it's just a straight line versus a very very gentle curve, but this is also something you will never be able to see or know unless you hold one of each in your hands
The original wooded legs had all metal carpet pads, the modern replacements have the metal holding a nylon washer for wooden floor protection
Once you install them and put them on the floor you'll never notice the difference
The overall quality of the little foot pads from the 1950s is better made as one would expect, but what isn't?

The biggest pain with the replacements is that you have to change the mounting studs that come in them if you still have and want to use your cabinets' factory T-nuts
The hardware store has those too, they are wood screw threads on one half of the stud and machine screw threads on the other (for the T-nuts)
And obviously you have to stain them, which is a BITCH, the wood is very hard and doesn't take stain well, at least not the stuff I have used, but you can get a decent match

Bottom line, if you want wooden legs, or have no legs at all, the hardware store replacements are an exact match in all critical areas

ARMED
05-12-2016, 10:11 AM
thanks for the input....... you are right there are generic tapered legs @ lowes or homedepot...I think im just gonna use that..
I was going to make one out of an aluminum.....

but if anyone would have the dimensions that would be cool...

thanks!

JeffW
05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
These are a little shorter than the JBL, I think, but have a similar vibe:

http://www.alphafurnishings.com/Aluminum-Spin-Furniture-Leg-875al.html

ARMED
05-12-2016, 01:44 PM
that angled one looks good also! thanks for the link

Joseph Smith Jr
05-13-2016, 08:31 AM
thanks for the input....... you are right there are generic tapered legs @ lowes or homedepot...I think im just gonna use that..
I was going to make one out of an aluminum.....

but if anyone would have the dimensions that would be cool...

thanks!
Sorry I can't lay hands on an old one or I'd tell you, but as I said ACE does have one that is exactly correct height wise

I can't believe no one here has given you the number yet

Start another thread in technical and just ask the question, "could someone please measure for me............."

Specify you want the wooden leg height, that'll help as well