PDA

View Full Version : L1 or L19 ??

fotodan
05-07-2016, 05:08 AM
I have a chance to buy either a pair of L1's or L19's (can't get both:banghead:). I know its like apples and oranges, but which would be your choice and why?? They will be used in a second system with Kenwood KA7300 pushing them. And of course, no chance on hearing them before hand.

Chris Brown
05-07-2016, 07:13 AM
The L19 probably has more vintage/classic value, but the L1 should be a much better speaker. What stands out most of all is the different tweeter. The L19 uses a paper cone tweeter whereas the L1 uses a titanium dome tweeter which IMO is much better. The 116A woofer in the L19 was not used in anything else IIRC, and wasn't really anything special. The 706G in the L1 on the other hand is a very capable woofer for it's size, and is also used as a mid-bass woofer in the L5.

Joseph Smith Jr
05-07-2016, 10:21 AM
I have a chance to buy either a pair of L1's or L19's (can't get both:banghead:). I know its like apples and oranges, but which would be your choice and why?? They will be used in a second system with Kenwood KA7300 pushing them. And of course, no chance on hearing them before hand.
Having owned both, I believe you will like the sound of the L19s when married to the old "7300" much better than you will if you go with the L1s

The KA-7300 if working well is a very nice amp by the way, build quality is crazy good for the most part (could have spent a few more pennies on pots! :))

I say this because I've owned a KA-7300 and am currently wrapping up a restore on a KA-8100

Specs, what's better on paper etc is all true about the speaker choice, but the combination I suggest will just sound better musically, and on more examples of it (quality of the recordings) and styles

mech986
05-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Tough Choice and I agree with both of the above posts, the L1 is probably going to be the better sounding and more modern speaker, while the L19 is going to be more classic vintage JBL sound, especially with a vintage amp like you propose.

The L1 has no foam surround so much less maintenance. But the L1 is also just a medium black box with black grille. The L19 has foam surrounds that, unless recently (within 5 years) correctly refoamed, should be immediately refoamed with the correct surrounds for best results. The cost should be considered in the purchase. Also the L19 is a taller cabinet but has that very nice JBL walnut veneer and brown grille cloth. If the veneer needs a little work, then again, condition will affect the selling price.

personally, unless the costs were outrageous, I'd stretch and get both. You can alway sell off the one you don't care for, and likely not lose anything in the process.

fotodan
05-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Tough Choice and I agree with both of the above posts, the L1 is probably going to be the better sounding and more modern speaker, while the L19 is going to be more classic vintage JBL sound, especially with a vintage amp like you propose.

The L1 has no foam surround so much less maintenance. But the L1 is also just a medium black box with black grille. The L19 has foam surrounds that, unless recently (within 5 years) correctly refoamed, should be immediately refoamed with the correct surrounds for best results. The cost should be considered in the purchase. Also the L19 is a taller cabinet but has that very nice JBL walnut veneer and brown grille cloth. If the veneer needs a little work, then again, condition will affect the selling price.

personally, unless the costs were outrageous, I'd stretch and get both. You can alway sell off the one you don't care for, and likely not lose anything in the process.

The L19's were refoamed few months back and the cabinets aren't in that bad of shape. Love the vintage looks and sound, but the L1 reviews are keeping me on the fence. The L1 cabs aren't in the best condition, but all drivers are in great shape. I have read here that the sound from these little speakers will blow me away. I have thought about redoing the black and following the steps I did with the 4435's.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?15845-Project-4435-has-begun&highlight=4435

I finished a recap on the 7300 couple weeks ago and its ready to go for another 40 years...:D

Joseph Smith Jr
05-07-2016, 05:11 PM
I finished a recap on the 7300 couple weeks ago and its ready to go for another 40 years...:D
Beautiful amp, looks and sound

I regret selling mine still, more than 20 years after the fact

The ONLY thing I did not like about the "7300" and still do not understand to this day is why on Earth they used those Darlington output devices instead of TO-3s? And it is my understanding that they were exclusively KENWOODS', there's no crossing over or subs that'll fit, it is almost impossible to find replacements today like you can still find substitutes for many of the STK "NLA" devices used by so many other manufacturers, that or "work arounds"

Yet at the same time, used the TO-3s as with my "8100"?

The "8100" specs out slightly better on paper, but I still think that your amplifier is better looking and has a much cleaner and elegant layout inside

Where what and whose filter caps where you able to find? Do they fit well or did you have to get creative?

fotodan
05-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Beautiful amp, looks and sound

I regret selling mine still, more than 20 years after the fact

The ONLY thing I did not like about the "7300" and still do not understand to this day is why on Earth they used those Darlington output devices instead of TO-3s? And it is my understanding that they were exclusively KENWOODS', there's no crossing over or subs that'll fit, it is almost impossible to find replacements today like you can still find substitutes for many of the STK "NLA" devices used by so many other manufacturers, that or "work arounds"

Yet at the same time, used the TO-3s as with my "8100"?

The "8100" specs out slightly better on paper, but I still think that your amplifier is better looking and has a much cleaner and elegant layout inside

Where what and whose filter caps where you able to find? Do they fit well or did you have to get creative?

I have wanted the KA7300 for many, many years. I purchased the matching KT7300 back in 75 with my first stereo. Used L100's back then. ;) Found this amp and had to have it, Near mint. Had it 4 days and turned it on one night and nothing, no click of relay no sound. Did search on google and found out about the relay driver transistors failure. With help from members on another fourm got me started on getting everything needed for fix. Ordered every thing from Digi-key. While inside the amp started looking and getting numbers from other caps and replaced them also. They fit very well, as the size on most were smaller then originals. Just for the relay driver board I ordered these...
Qk2 -> Panasonic TO-126 - 2SC15670S-ND
Ck5,6 -> 470µf 25V Panasonic FM - P12388-ND
Ck8 -> 100µf 16V Panasonic SU Bipolar - P1167-ND
Ck7 -> 10µf 50V Panasonic FC - P10316-ND
Ck9 -> 100µf 25V Panasonic FM - P12924-ND
Dk7 -> UF4004 - MCC Diodes - UF4004-TPMSCT-ND
Relay -> Omron MY4-02-DC24 - Z2634-ND

Joseph Smith Jr
05-07-2016, 06:00 PM
I have wanted the KA7300 for many, many years. I purchased the matching KT7300 back in 75 with my first stereo. Used L100's back then. ;) Found this amp and had to have it, Near mint. Had it 4 days and turned it on one night and nothing, no click of relay no sound. Did search on google and found out about the relay driver transistors failure. With help from members on another fourm got me started on getting everything needed for fix. Ordered every thing from Digi-key. While inside the amp started looking and getting numbers from other caps and replaced them also. They fit very well, as the size on most were smaller then originals. Just for the relay driver board I ordered these...
Qk2 -> Panasonic TO-126 - 2SC15670S-ND
Ck5,6 -> 470µf 25V Panasonic FM - P12388-ND
Ck8 -> 100µf 16V Panasonic SU Bipolar - P1167-ND
Ck7 -> 10µf 50V Panasonic FC - P10316-ND
Ck9 -> 100µf 25V Panasonic FM - P12924-ND
Dk7 -> UF4004 - MCC Diodes - UF4004-TPMSCT-ND
Relay -> Omron MY4-02-DC24 - Z2634-ND
I'm interested in what you were able to find for the (4) 10,000uF power supply filter caps

Don C
05-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Joseph, were you able to find a balance pot for your 8100? I could use one of those.

fotodan
05-08-2016, 05:05 AM
Joseph, I ordered the CDE 10,000uf 63v caps.

Joseph Smith Jr
05-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Joseph, I ordered the CDE 10,000uf 63v caps.
You have a part # ? I'd like to look at them How was the fit?

Thank you

fotodan
05-08-2016, 07:45 AM
You have a part # ? I'd like to look at them How was the fit?

Thank you

Part #338-1569-ND.... Same dia. but height is 2" so they are not as tall as the ELNA's.

They run $4.63 each, part # is from Digi-Key. Hope this helps..

SEAWOLF97
05-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I've had L-19's and really enjoyed them. don't remember any deficiency in the tweets. Plus I can't stand black speakers.

As a cabinetmaker, think you would appreciate the classic JBL veneer.

always believed that "gear of an era" sounds best together.

fotodan
05-08-2016, 08:30 AM
I've had L-19's and really enjoyed them. don't remember any deficiency in the tweets. Plus I can't stand black speakers.

As a cabinetmaker, think you would appreciate the classic JBL veneer.

always believed that "gear of an era" sounds best together.

I love the classic JBL veneer, and the L19's I am looking at have some of the best burl grain I've seen. Like you laid a 4" wide ribbon on table then pushed in both ends with your hands, love the ripple effect....

Joseph Smith Jr
05-08-2016, 09:48 AM
don't remember any deficiency in the tweets.
There is none, in real world practice, unless you enjoy the pain that some of the titanium diaphragms can inflict with the right amp

I could care less that any given tweeter can go into dog whistle territory if all it does is give me listener fatigue after about a 1/2 an hour, and with a lot of CDs and CD players that's all they do

With compression drivers we can have a whole other conversation

Saying that will probably start a fire storm I'm sure, but do a search here and you will find a very commonly asked question and oftentimes complaints regarding anything vintage with titanium domes like, "I like my new speakers, but", "too bright, too harsh", "do I need new caps" "will an L-pad tame them" etc and folks wondering out loud if it's because the foam rubber behind the domes has rotted away

The LE26 was a fine tweeter, the final evolution of the ubiquitous and venerable LE25 and if you're into tweaking, can be made even better:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE26.htm

Plus, a high quality drop in, U.S.A. built replacement is readily available, close enough anyway to replace the LE26 if done in a pair. It is becoming nearly impossible to find new metal diaphragms for any of them now, starting as far back as the "035xx?" series and go back a little further to some really nice sounding "metallized" domes like the "044" that do sound nice when healthy and as far as new replacement parts, forget about it

Midwest is offering a copy now of the "035TiA", but I know nothing about it's sound quality as compared to the originals, as well as their LE25 copy, which I have heard and it sounds nice, maybe even better, but I haven't heard a "new" genuine JBL LE25 in decades!

Joseph Smith Jr
05-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Part #338-1569-ND.... Same dia. but height is 2" so they are not as tall as the ELNA's.

They run $4.63 each, part # is from Digi-Key. Hope this helps..
Thank you

Did you do this work yourself or have someone help you or do it for you?

I looked at your caps and as I suspected they are of the snap in type

What I am trying to determine is how well they fit the PC board? Did you have to do any cutting or enlarging of the holes, add lead wires or in other words, specifically just exactly how well did they fit? I don't care about appearance as much as fit.

Did the "7300" use "snap ins"? I do see on the spec sheet that there is a "pin" option available by adding the suffix "A" to the end of the part #

Where you still able to re-use the factory straps?

Thanks for answering all my questions

Joe

mech986
05-13-2016, 06:22 PM
So fotodan, which speaker did you finally decide on?

fotodan
05-14-2016, 04:00 AM
So fotodan, which speaker did you finally decide on?

Was in route to get the L19's, but when I arrived they had already been sold. Man was I pissed.... I think I will just hold off and get something better then the L1's. Just not sure what I am looking for..... Its a bad addiction, always searching for the BEST, but there is no such thing as the BEST.....

fotodan
05-14-2016, 04:03 AM
Thank you

Did you do this work yourself or have someone help you or do it for you?

I looked at your caps and as I suspected they are of the snap in type

What I am trying to determine is how well they fit the PC board? Did you have to do any cutting or enlarging of the holes, add lead wires or in other words, specifically just exactly how well did they fit? I don't care about appearance as much as fit.

Did the "7300" use "snap ins"? I do see on the spec sheet that there is a "pin" option available by adding the suffix "A" to the end of the part #

Where you still able to re-use the factory straps?

Thanks for answering all my questions

Joe

Joe, the caps were snap in but I had 3rd party install those for me and not really sure what was done to make them fit. I do know that the factory holders were reused and no special fab done to them. Wish I could tell you more.

Joseph Smith Jr
05-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Joe, the caps were snap in but I had 3rd party install those for me and not really sure what was done to make them fit. I do know that the factory holders were reused and no special fab done to them. Wish I could tell you more.
Thank you
Sorry you missed your speakers
Joe

mech986
05-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Sorry to hear the speakers got sold out from under you. However, L19's were and are plentiful, and not so big that they couldn't be shipped either. But, this does free you up to keep looking if you want to. There's a lot of good "bookshelf" sized speakers out there, and vintage JBL has a number of them. IF you go larger, you'll have even more to look at.

SEAWOLF97
05-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Was in route to get the L19's, but when I arrived they had already been sold. Man was I pissed.... ..

I had that happen on a pair of L7's .... took a lot of will power not to kick the guy in the shins. :banghead:

While I was on the way, someone else came along. Seller didn't mention "first come , first served" , but that's what he did.

On my Ohm F's ,,,I sent an email and went back to work. Seller called me ..
"Could you come over now ? After your email, things went crazy, but you were first" .... that's the attitude that I've adopted for my sales.

Joseph Smith Jr
05-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Was in route to get the L19's, but when I arrived they had already been sold.
I have to ask: how did that happen?
Somebody beat you with money or just show up first?
Not trying to rub salt here, but a week is too long to vacillate over anything worth owning on craigslist when dealing with 99.9% of the typical sellers there, especially if the price is close to being right
Had you reached terms with the guy, i.e. he knew you were coming? If so, then he's a right good prick and I'm sorry you missed the mark
I know how it goes
The ones I really hate is when you see the ad appear and email them a minute and a half after they post to ask a specific pertinent question (not the "is it still available" BS we all know and love) or to tell them you absolutely want it and 2 days later they finally reply to tell you "sorry, I just sold it TONIGHT"
Just happened to me in the past 24 hours over an amplifier
There used to be a little bit of craigslist etiquette honoring the order of the email queue, but as of late that appears to be a thing of the past
Was this a craigslist deal?