PDA

View Full Version : Lancer 77's restoration. Advice welcomed!

dmac
04-25-2016, 05:56 AM
I just received a pair of L77"s from the original owner. The cabinets are in fairly good shape, but have some nicks that seem easily repairable.Grills are in good shape, but missing one badge. All of the drivers are original, but were refoamed 25 years ago and need to be re-done. I am looking at black foam replacements from the Midwest site in the link below. I was wondering if anyone else has had experieince with this kit and if there is a better option?

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/jbl-lancer-l77-complete-refoam-kit-f10-12

I have also seen photo's of these speakers where the new foam is glued in the top of the woofer cone rather than having it rolled under it like the original. Is there any advantage to this ?

There is a thin black rubber gasket/bezel around the rime of the basket that seems to help hold the foam in place. I assume that this needs to be carefully pryed out and reused any thoughts on this or anything else would also be greatly apreciated.

Dmac

SEAWOLF97
04-25-2016, 07:53 AM
any thoughts on this or anything else would also be greatly apreciated.

Dmac

OK. You asked nicely. I'll be gentile.

I've had a couple of pairs of lancer 77's. Was never impressed with them. IMHO, certainly not worth the time and expense of restoration.

Advise ? Sell them and use the money to move up to something better.

bldozier
04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Love a before and after. Please share photos of your project... L77 have always had stunning veneer hope yours turn out awesome.
Brian.

Joseph Smith Jr
04-25-2016, 10:54 AM
I just received a pair of L77"s from the original owner. The cabinets are in fairly good shape, but have some nicks that seem easily repairable.Grills are in good shape, but missing one badge. All of the drivers are original, but were refoamed 25 years ago and need to be re-done. I am looking at black foam replacements from the Midwest site in the link below. I was wondering if anyone else has had experieince with this kit and if there is a better option?

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/jbl-lancer-l77-complete-refoam-kit-f10-12

I have also seen photo's of these speakers where the new foam is glued in the top of the woofer cone rather than having it rolled under it like the original. Is there any advantage to this ?

There is a thin black rubber gasket/bezel around the rime of the basket that seems to help hold the foam in place. I assume that this needs to be carefully pryed out and reused any thoughts on this or anything else would also be greatly apreciated.

Dmac
ALWAYS buy your JBL foam edges from Rick Cobb, he's the JBL guy for the best match you're going to find and yes there is a diffrence no matter what anyone says and yes that black ring will come loose, just be careful
Did they re-edge them 25 years ago or re-cone them I ask to know if they put the foam on the right side of your cones
Plus 25 years ago re-foaming wan't all that popular yet

Nice speakers, enjoy!

dmac
04-25-2016, 01:28 PM
ALWAYS buy your JBL foam edges from Rick Cobb, he's the JBL guy for the best match you're going to find and yes there is a diffrence no matter what anyone says and yes that black ring will come loose, just be careful
Did they re-edge them 25 years ago or re-cone them I ask to know if they put the foam on the right side of your cones
Plus 25 years ago re-foaming wan't all that popular yet

Nice speakers, enjoy!

Thanks, I appreciate the tip on the Rick Cobb solution and will check it out. I see that there is a butyl rubber surround on eBay for sale which would seem to be a better option for the sake of longevity. Wondering if anyone has had experience with those.

These were re-foamed with black foam and they did put them on the original(under) side of the woofer. THey were done by a local company in Cleveland that did that sort of work back then.

dmac
04-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Here are some photos of how I received them.

Odd
04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Resurround Step-by-step (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?469-Resurround-Step-by-step)

dmac
05-26-2016, 07:14 PM
I have these reformed and they sound great. One of the crossover dials does not work. It seems like it is stuck on low or med. The other speaker will noticibly switch from low, med and high. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,