PDA

View Full Version : JBL 3133a wire

schuta
04-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know what type of wire JBL used in the 3133a crossover unit? Is it silver plated copper? Thank you.

mech986
04-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Does anyone know what type of wire JBL used in the 3133a crossover unit? Is it silver plated copper? Thank you.

Hi, and welcome to AK! AFAIK, the 3133a crossover, as well as most JBL internal wiring, is 18 or 16 gauge copper wire. If it is silver looking, it is most likely tin-plated copper. I am not aware that JBL ever used any exotic wiring save for some Monster Cable (I think) in a couple of top line consumer models, or maybe some of the recent flagship models. Others will correct me if I'm incorrect.

schuta
04-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Hi, and welcome to AK! AFAIK, the 3133a crossover, as well as most JBL internal wiring, is 18 or 16 gauge copper wire. If it is silver looking, it is most likely tin-plated copper. I am not aware that JBL ever used any exotic wiring save for some Monster Cable (I think) in a couple of top line consumer models, or maybe some of the recent flagship models. Others will correct me if I'm incorrect.

Thank you! I have had some success changing out the internal wire of other speakers with silver plated copper PTFE wire, I think I'll give it a try in my 4333a's. The silver PTFE cleans up the music quite a bit and adds a touch more detail and imaging.