PDA

View Full Version : 250 Ti Biamp ( one or 2 amp ) ?

gerard
11-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Hello

A question from a beginner .

If I have a 250 Ti crossover bi amp

1. How can I connect 2 amp ( do I need an active crossober after premap ? )

2. Can I connect only 1 amp on the bi-amp crossover and How ?.

I wouldbe grateful If i get an answer !

Gerard

porschedpm
11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I 'm not familiar with the specifics of the 250ti's. But in general, to bi-amp a pair of speakers:

1) From you pre-outs on your preamp, instead of connecting to an amplifier, you would first hook up your interconnects from the Right (R) and Left (L) pre-outs on your pre-amp to R + L inputs on an active crossover.

2) For this example, assume a stereo two way active crossover. The active crossover splits the pre-amp signals at a certain preselected frequency between High Frequencies and Low Frequencies.

3) From your active crossover, hook up your interconnects from the L+R low frequency outputs to the L+R inputs on the Amp that will be dedicated to the bass driver on your speakers. Call this Amp #1.

4) Again from your active crossover, hook up your interconnects from the L+R high frequency outputs to the L+R inputs on the Amp that will be dedicated to the mids and treble drivers on your speakers. Call this Amp #2.

5) In terms of watts per channel output, the amp used for the bass drivers (Amp #1) typically have more output than the amp for your mids and highs (Amp #2) since it takes more power to control the larger drivers. For example, for Amp #1 you can use a 300w/ch amp while for Amp #2 use a 150w/ch amp.

6) Some people will use a high output, solid state for Amp #1 and a low(er) output but high quality tube amp for Amp #2 on the premise that the mids and highs are more apt to reveal the sonic differences in amp qualities.

Hope this helps.