PDA

View Full Version : First re-foam job

johnaec
11-28-2004, 04:10 PM
I have this pair of L60T's that needed re-foaming and finally got around to it over the holidays. This was my first attempt at re-foaming - I ordered a foam kit for the 8" 116H-1's from Orange County Speakers because it came with replacement gaskets, only to find they were just generic 8-hole cardboard jobs, so I had to carefully remove the originals and reuse them.

These little speakers were kind of a pain, since there's very little clearance between the cone and basket to get in and clean them out - I really think bigger speakers must be easier to do. And I didn't remove the dust domes - with the small voice coils, these were really easy to center

Anyway, they came out fine - thanks to all who have gone before and posted their tips! I've included a couple pics.

The first shows the finished speakers, the second is a little syringe I had that was indispensable for getting a final bead of glue around the edge and under loose areas of the foam. The third and fourth show the speakers without and with the grilles. Now I just need to give them a real break-in...

Guido
11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey,

looks like a good job :thmbsup:

Zilch
11-28-2004, 05:39 PM
NICE ones! :-)

johnaec
11-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I gave them a good listen this afternoon and am really blown away by how good they sound to me. I know the L60T wasn't a real popular speaker, but it really holds its own, even compared to the other JBL's I have, at least up to a certain volume, (the level of which quite surprised me). They appear to be somewhat similar to the 4408 in components, though I realize the crossovers are also different.

I was thinking of selling these but may reconsider - they're perfect for the bedroom or as rear fill. :)

John

Guido
11-29-2004, 04:27 AM
I was thinking of selling these but may reconsider - they're perfect for the bedroom or as rear fill. :)
John
:scold:

Ralf
11-29-2004, 05:15 AM
perfect work... :thmbsup:

Don`t sell them!!!

boputnam
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
...they're perfect for the bedroom or as rear fill. :) Dood! :scold: You gotta watch that syntax - I only give one free pass... :rotfl:

Nice looking job. I too was real pleased with the results of a resurround. If the spider's in good shape, and you can get a good fit, it gives whole new life to a transducer!

johnaec
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Dood! :scold: You gotta watch that syntax - I only give one free pass... :rotfl:Sheesh, Bo - you're always the one to find hidden meaning... :rolleyes:

John

boputnam
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Yea, but at least I've matured enough to have avoided using that wonderfully wreched "Smilie" that woulda been perfect for that post! :p

Hofmannhp
11-29-2004, 11:50 AM
.......perfect for the bedroom or as rear fill. :)......

John
sorry John,

what do you use as "front fill" in the bedroom? :slink:

HP

johnaec
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
what do you use as "front fill" in the bedroom? :slink: Errr...why's everyone picking on me today? :hyp: But if you're serious, 'only one set of speakers in the bedroom. I think the L60T's would also be great rear-speakers for the 4315's...

John