PDA

View Full Version : Reconed 416-8A - spider issue

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Hi,

I've reconed a pair of 416-8A with cones from MWA Speaker parts (ARIZONA).

The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse. Does it make sense to 'dope' the spider with a thin layer of goop like the 'pleated cloth edge surround' .

Have not started using the speaker, so how do I solve this or is it not a problem at all ?

thanks.

gdmoore28
04-15-2016, 02:53 AM
Detailed pics of the cone, surround, and spider would be of great help. Did you do a complete recone (cone, surround, voice coil, spider)? For what it's worth, my 416-8Z cones move very, very easily, and one of them is a brand new recone from GPA. I had expected them to be considerably stiffer. A little more info and pics from you will net a good reply from one of the more knowledgeable Altec guys here.

GeeDeeEmm

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Yes it is a complete job. New cone, surround, VC and spider. GDM, like you've said, the cone moves very very easily. I've attached pics, but not sure if they'll help.

What are we looking at /for in the pics ?

Wagner
04-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I've reconed a pair of 416-8A with cones from MWA Speaker parts (ARIZONA).

The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse. Does it make sense to 'dope' the spider with a thin layer of goop like the 'pleated cloth edge surround' .

Have not started using the speaker, so how do I solve this or is it not a problem at all ?

thanks.
From the photos it appears that you have done a very nice job (did you do it yourself?)

Worrying over the suitability of the parts NOW is a losing game (and what are you comparing the new compliance to, the old spider?) That is not very meaningful on a driver this old

That said, I do not think you have any problems to worry over

There are plenty of drivers with very compliant suspension, that doesn't mean it will fail OR that anything is wrong

Enjoy your new driver; if it doesn't sound in a way that makes you happy then you can always do it again (which I do not think you will have to)

Nice work

Enjoy your nice speakers,
Thomas

Wagner
04-15-2016, 09:28 AM
What are we looking at /for in the pics ?

Asking for photos is a reflex response at many on-line forums, whether they can offer any real help or not

That has been my observation

Enjoy your drivers!

Thomas
(the spider in the photo looks fine by the way)

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks Thomas. So the easy movement of the cone is not an issue. It moves very freely and does not touch either while moving up or while returning to position.

Will doping the spider have any useful effect /function.

Not needed ? Waste of time ?

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Sorry, didn't see your earlier reply. Guess it is a non-issue.

Wagner
04-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Thanks Thomas. So the easy movement of the cone is not an issue. It moves very freely and does not touch either while moving up or while returning to position.

Will doping the spider have any useful effect /function.

Not needed ? Waste of time ?
DON'T DOPE OR TREAT THE SPIDER! Free and easy movement is NOT a problem

The 416-8A is a HIGH compliance driver, the cone is SUPPOSED to move "easily"
(it is also very nice that by what I can see in your photo, you have some early examples!)

You are FINE!

Enjoy your nice work

Thomas

gdmoore28
04-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Why did I ask for photos? I think that's pretty self-evident because Wagner based his every comment on what he could see in the pictures! Came in handy, didn't they, Wag? You are welcome.

And, of course, the photos tell the tale- it looks like you've done an excellent job. Absolutely nothing looks out of order, no voice coil drag, nothing. You are good to go.

GeeDeeEmm

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks Wagner and GDM.

Yes, it is an early 416-A. Was lucky to score two pairs. I'm designing a dual 416 Horn-loaded OB based on the 'Altec 816' flare. Will start a separate thread in a few weeks.

sjpd10
04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
The 3d image is an earlier drawing with a single driver....:D

Wagner
04-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Why did I ask for photos? I think that's pretty self-evident because Wagner based his every comment on what he could see in the pictures! Came in handy, didn't they, Wag? You are welcome.

And, of course, the photos tell the tale- it looks like you've done an excellent job. Absolutely nothing looks out of order, no voice coil drag, nothing. You are good to go.

GeeDeeEmm
No, you are incorrect, his photographs were the basis for two comments and have nothing to do with (answering) his concerns:

From the photos it appears that you have done a very nice job (did you do it yourself?)
Thomas

(it is also very nice that by what I can see in your photo, you have some early examples!)
Thomas
BUT if you insist on disagreeing with my comment regarding photos being unnecessary and essentially usless in this case, then YOU explain to me how a photograph is going to tell you anything with regards to the compliance of his woofers? (being too stiff or not stiff enough)

I didn't need a photo, I was able to determine all of the relevant facts by reading the title of his thread and then his first post, in which he described his concerns

Don't know how photos could convey whether his compliance was "correct" or not, or give me any insight into this:
"The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse" but again, I'm all ears

The Altec spec sheet, (as well as having owned a few over the years) ,told me what I needed to know, that it is a HIGH compliance model

Photographs are and were useless as for addressing his SPECIFIC concerns (and question)

"Pics" is the first thing people ask for when they don't have anything else to say (or when window shopping on craigslist with no real intention of buying anything)

gdmoore28
04-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks Wagner and GDM.

Yes, it is an early 416-A. Was lucky to score two pairs. I'm designing a dual 416 Horn-loaded OB based on the 'Altec 816' flare. Will start a separate thread in a few weeks.

Can't wait to see what you are doing with this project and really looking forward to your narrative, drawings, graphs, and pics.

Be sure to post a warning for Wagner, though. He'll want to skip over all the pretty visual stuff. (Just pulling your chain, Wagner. Everything is said in jest. Don't take it too seriously. We all know how smart and techy you are - just ease up and enjoy a good laugh at my expense. But you did like the pictures, didn't you? Come on. Just a teeny, teeny little bit?)

GeeDeeEmm