PDA

View Full Version : Power for Olympus SR-8 ??

rloggie
11-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Would eighteen watts per channel be enough to run a pair of these well? Can someone relate the effeciency from their old ratings to what it would be valued at today? Thanks, RL

Robh3606
11-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Looks like they are about 95db @ 1 meter. They have good sensitivity. As far as the power 18 watts could work just fine depending on levels room size and music. How do they sound now?? What amps??

Rob:)

rloggie
11-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I've been thinking about buying a pr. The amps I'm using are Hammond chassis with UTC transformers and using 4 2a3 per side. They have passive volume control that, with my VOT, rarely is used at more that 20%. They've just been checked out by a (terrific) tech and are said to output eighteen watts. The VOT do the job for me, I've just got the bug to try an SR-8 system if the amps seem up to it. The room is about 16 x 20.

JonathanKeehn
11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
I used to own a pair of C60 Sovereign I S8r's powered by a JBL Graphic Controller and 40 watt per channel Energizer and they would blow you out of the room at full power, as well as cause permanent hearing damage. I found this out a few years ago when I had an audiogram performed by a hearing doctor. He asked what occupation I was in and to find out what noise exposure I had suffered over the years. I told him I used to play the drums and had a killer JBL sound system. He smiled and nodded his head, knowingly. My hearing response graph had a rather substantial 4kHz notch in it. The amps you mentioned should energize your speakers very well unless they are in a huge sized room.