PDA

View Full Version : Amp advice for JBL 4365 speakers please.

tom1040
04-10-2016, 08:32 AM
I posted this same question on another audio site --- nothing but crickets:

Out of the choice of the following, can someone recommend the amp that they would pair with this speaker and the reason(s)behind your answer, considering all associated issues-not the least of which is cost:

McIntosh MC452
McIntosh MC601 (Mono Blocks)
Marantz MA9-S2 (Mono Blocks)

I have narrowed my search window to these three amps. In fact, I have the third one listed. However, I am not in possession of the speakers yet.:banghead: In addition to the above question, has anyone actually heard this speaker and, if so, what type of amplification was behind the sound? I want to hear your thoughts mostly on the above amps but feel free to discuss others as well.

I understand that any responses from members may not be my impression, in my room and I am fine with that as I understand that concept. Still, perhaps someone has heard these with/without the above amps and could expand on their experiences.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time out of their day to respond.

Tom

Mr. Widget
04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
You may be getting only crickets because of the question. I wonder how many people have actually heard these speakers AND heard these amps?

I've heard the 4365s with Parasound Halo JC-1s and thought they sounded fantastic. I've never heard any of the amps on your list... with any speakers.

I wouldn't want to speculate which amp will give you the best results.

Widget

Challenger604
04-10-2016, 06:52 PM

Out of the choice of the following, can someone recommend the amp that they would pair with this speaker and the reason(s)behind your answer, considering all associated issues-not the least of which is cost:

McIntosh MC452

I have narrowed my search window to these three amps. In fact, I have the third one listed. However, I am not in possession of the speakers yet.:banghead: In addition to the above question, has anyone actually heard this speaker and, if so, what type of amplification was behind the sound? I want to hear your thoughts mostly on the above amps but feel free to discuss others as well.

I understand that any responses from members may not be my impression, in my room and I am fine with that as I understand that concept. Still, perhaps someone has heard these with/without the above amps and could expand on their experiences.

Tom

I understabd why you hit your head on the wall! And I'm afraid that you don't spend enough money on amps...
If I was you, I would buy 4 x MC601 plus two more in case a fly lands on one of your speaker... We never know...
C

quindecima
04-10-2016, 07:02 PM
+ 1 on the 601's

JeffW
04-10-2016, 07:59 PM
We talked about it here, in the 4367 thread, not long ago. Don't know that any consensus was reached other than try the Marantz amps since you have them, do something different if they don't work out.

JimR
04-11-2016, 02:38 AM
Not on your list, but I use a Linn Klimax pre-amp into a Bryston 4B SST2 with my 4365s. Can't claim to have listened to many alternatives, but this combination sounds pretty good to me.

(Having said that, my previous amp, an 18 watt single-ended triode, also sounded wonderful at normal volumes with the 4365s. It just ran out of steam when you turned it up.)

Jim.

Ian Mackenzie
04-11-2016, 02:59 AM
I have heard the 4365 in a private room at a hi fi show and in a local store with Mcintosh amps but l don't recall which model.

I could buy a nice latte coffee tomorrow and go the shop and ask their recommendation as they have a massive selection of Mcintosh amps and JBLs.

They are very nice loudspeakers and in the end it's a personal choice.

My suggestion with these hi resolution monitors is to look at an amp that has a hint of warmth of sweetness and very transparent in the highs.

The Mcintosh are in that territory but l think the Passlabs are superior my personal experience.

Mctwins
04-13-2016, 11:55 PM

McIntosh MC452

Tom

Hallo!

I have said it before, I would go for one MC452. It is more than enough power to drive those 4365.

MC601 is fine but way overkill.

You can do the calculation with the spec's of 300Watts(RMS) into 8ohms and see for yourself.

Peak power is only 1200Watts for the 4365 and the MC452 has 1800Watts(Peak) and MC601 has 2400Watts(Peak). These amplifier will produce this power but can 4365 handle this. Maybe, maybe not, but why the risk.

You will not get more SPL level from what the speaker can give with more power from the amplifier.

ngccglp
04-14-2016, 04:07 AM
Hallo!

I have said it before, I would go for one MC452. It is more than enough power to drive those 4365.

MC601 is fine but way overkill.

You can do the calculation with the spec's of 300Watts(RMS) into 8ohms and see for yourself.

Peak power is only 1200Watts for the 4365 and the MC452 has 1800Watts(Peak) and MC601 has 2400Watts(Peak). These amplifier will produce this power but can 4365 handle this. Maybe, maybe not, but why the risk.

You will not get more SPL level from what the speaker can give with more power from the amplifier.

biamp with 4 x 601 is the way to go

tom1040
04-16-2016, 07:59 AM
The speakers arrived yesterday--still in boxes. Man, a bit heavier than the 1400 Array's. MC601's are scheduled for the 19th. I will be able to set up on the 20th or 21st (after tax season-we get until the 19th to file---(New England)Patriots Day!)

I am very excited about this!:bouncy:

Mctwins
04-17-2016, 09:45 PM
The speakers arrived yesterday--still in boxes. Man, a bit heavier than the 1400 Array's. MC601's are scheduled for the 19th. I will be able to set up on the 20th or 21st (after tax season-we get until the 19th to file---(New England)Patriots Day!)

Cool....did you get 2 or 4 MC601?

Just be careful with the volume knob:)

Mctwins
04-17-2016, 09:49 PM
biamp with 4 x 601 is the way to go

Hallo!

Can you explain why? this is the way to go.

1audiohack
04-17-2016, 10:05 PM

Hi Tom!

I can't wait to hear what you think of them.

I had the Las Vegas audio club guys over here yesterday and watching the reaction of the people was a blast. You can easily tell when people are just being polite verses when they are having a WOW moment. I don't think anyone of them expected the 4365's to perform like they do.

Do you still have the 1500 Arrays?

While this doesn't answer your question exactly mine are driven with a slightly modded pair of Crown M600's.

Don't hurt your back!

Barry.

bubbleboy76
04-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Hi Tom!

I can't wait to hear what you think of them.

I had the Las Vegas audio club guys over here yesterday and watching the reaction of the people was a blast. You can easily tell when people are just being polite verses when they are having a WOW moment. I don't think anyone of them expected the 4365's to perform like they do.

Do you still have the 1500 Arrays?

While this doesn't answer your question exactly mine are driven with a slightly modded pair of Crown M600's.

Don't hurt your back!

Barry.

Did you have any EQ applied, or subwoofers?

1audiohack
04-17-2016, 11:19 PM
Did you have any EQ applied, or subwoofers?

I sure do. I have a pair of 1500 Array subs in the system.

In the digital preamp I also have PEQ and GEQ available and I have a low level loudness curve built into it with a +3Db 0.7Q at 99Hz but very rarely engage it.

Barry.

tom1040
04-18-2016, 07:46 AM
I bought 2 MC601 amps. I think 4 would be overkill. I do still have the 1500 Arrays. All of this stuff weighs a lot and I will need some help lugging it around until they are finally in place.

I have a Marantz SA-8001 SACD player which is a fine unit but I am a bit worried about my pre-amp for this system. It is a 1980's(?) Yamaha CX-1000. I haven't used it in a while-in fact have been trying to sell it. I have a buyer for my Marantz mono blocks but am hesitate to sell them since they work so well with the 1400 Arrays, which, are also for sale. I am tempted to just keep the two systems. Marantz reference with the Array's upstairs and the McIntosh and JBL 4365 downstairs----perhaps with the 1500 Arrays.

It seems I have some options and will take some time to get it set up the way I want. In the future I will be on the look out for a nicer pre-amp for the 4365 system. Any recommendations?

Ian Mackenzie
04-18-2016, 11:57 AM
If you can look for a Mac pre.

Sometimes there are some good units on Audiogon.

Mctwins
04-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Go with McIntosh Preamp like C47, C48, C50 or C52. It is a great combo to go with your MC601 and will have the best performance.

Just be careful with the binding post so you don't twist it to hard like this....

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=11528&page=3#entry205819

Good luck!

tom1040
04-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Ouch. Not good. I shall be a bit more careful.

tom1040
04-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Go with McIntosh Preamp like C47, C48, C50 or C52. It is a great combo to go with your MC601 and will have the best performance.

Just be careful with the binding post so you don't twist it to hard like this....

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=11528&page=3#entry205819

Good luck!

When I had my MC402, I also used the McIntosh C46. I thought it was a fine pre-amp. Then, I bought the Marantz reference pre, the SC7S2, and I could not really believe the difference between the two on the MC402. Marantz was much smoother and refined. I may look into one of the above mentioned ones--most likely the C50 since there may be some deals since the C52 has arrived.:dont-know:

Mr. Widget
04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Then, I bought the Marantz reference pre, the SC7S2, and I could not really believe the difference between the two on the MC402. Marantz was much smoother and refined...My suggestion is to keep your current amps and compare them to the Macs... Those McIntosh amps are gorgeous and very appealing, but may not be a sonic upgrade in your system. I'd suggest you keep an open mind.

As for which preamp... same story listen with your eyes closed and listen to what sounds best.

When I auditioned the 4365s I used my ML 326S preamp and Halo JC-1 amps and those speakers sounded shockingly good.

Widget

jpw
04-21-2016, 04:59 PM
I have not heard the 4365's but have heard many other recent JBL's including S4700 (very similar to 4365), 4367 and Everest's 66-67 with McIntosh amps and pre-amps.

I have not heard the Marantz amps. So I can not comment on their sound. However resale value is likely better on the McIntosh and in the event of an amplifier failure, McIntosh amplifier output transformers will not, can not, pass speaker damaging direct current.

I own McIntosh MC-601's for use on either my Everest 67's or 4367's. I could not reliably hear a difference between the MC-601's and the MC-452 even at punishing listening levels. I bought the 601's anyhow because they looked cooler and I had the space and the money. If you want McIntosh and want to save money and or space buy the MC-452.

tom1040
04-25-2016, 07:21 AM
The combo of the McIntosh MC601's and the JBL 4365 work very well together. No issues with the bass at all except I feel as though the 1400 Arrays go deeper. I am going to lug my 1500 Array sub down to the 'cave' and that will certainly help matters out.

In no way is this setup complete as I still need a preamp and some amp stands or a whole new cabinet for this room. When I get some time, I will disconnect my Marantz SC7S2 pre and put it in this system. As I indicated in the past, the Marantz sounded so much better than the McIntosh MC46 that I have owned in the past that I know things will improve over my, now in use, Yamaha CX-1000.

This leads me to another question for people who care to give me advice: What pre amp would you recommend for this system? It seems to me that preamps tend to get updates almost as much as cdp's do. At this stage, I am unsure about McIntosh units as evidenced by my experience with the C46. Currently, with the Marantz system, I do not use tone controls as they are not offered BUT I do not miss them at all. I don't feel the need to adjust anything as the music sounds good as it is playing. Hell, after I try the Marantz unit, I may just end up buying another since they are heavily discounted.:dont-know:

srm51555
04-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Hell, after I try the Marantz unit, I may just end up buying another since they are heavily discounted.:dont-know:

While I was reading your post I was thinking the same thing. I have no experience with the Marantz but if it sounds good then why not.

pyonc
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Checking the sensitivity of this 4365, I see it reads 93dB, which means you might not need any real heavyweight power amp.
I have 4343 that has the same sensitivity like yours, but it's driven by vintage SE400S and SE408 (both 40 watts), with powerful rand dynamic sound reproduction with very much details in bass, mid and high-range.

tom1040
04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Checking the sensitivity of this 4365, I see it reads 93dB, which means you might not need any real heavyweight power amp.
I have 4343 that has the same sensitivity like yours, but it's driven by vintage SE400S and SE408 (both 40 watts), with powerful rand dynamic sound reproduction with very much details in bass, mid and high-range.

You are correct. It doesn't need that much power. However, I believe having too much power is just right. Actually, that sentence was from a local car stereo outfit, but, I do want to give the speakers clean power if I decide that I want to hear it loud.

So, I appreciate others chiming in with what they are using for different speakers. However, since I have already purchased the amps, it is a moot point at this point in the thread. I do want to know about preamps that others like that may be a good fit with this system.

Mctwins
04-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Hallo!

I have C48 Mcintosh preamp and it has enough drive voltage to drive both MC601 and my Crown MA5000i and DCi 2/600N to clipping point on the input stage of the amps.

Great feature with Mc pre is when connect the control cable to the amp you can control to switch the power on/off and the meters light(both on pre and amp if for example C50/52 is used) via the remote control. Pretty cool.

I have this feature on my DCi, when I turn ON my output 1 on my preamp the Crown DCi turns ON and so OFF as well Don't have this on my MAi.

Yes, you have enough clean power with your great MC601:)

tom1040
05-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Going with a McIntosh C50 pre amp. They are discontinued but am buying a new unit with warranty and the current firmware updated since it is one of the last made. I suspect that it will be a large difference (in a positive way) than with the Yamaha CX-1000 currently in use.

Even with the Yamaha currently in duty, the midrange in these 4365 speakers are really its selling point-to me. Comparing the 1400 Arrays midrange to the 4365 (not with same electronics-too damn heavy to move up and downstairs) is a bit unfair, I think. I am excited to hear the difference with a much better pre amp in the signal path.:bouncy:

Also, another reason for picking the C50 is the built in eq. functions. As I have read on this forum, the 4365's can use a bit of a bump in the lower freq. as they were designed for another market than the USA. I guess I would rather have it built into the pre amp instead of adding another component into the signal pathway which, from what I understand, is not suggested by some.

I still have work to do with this setup since I have other obstacles (other stereo gear) that I need to find a place for and remove from this room. Also, I am thinking of finding (perhaps hiring) someone who can help with the room acoustics in order to refine and define the best sound possible which I do not have the skill set to do.

Thanks for all advice and input for this new system.

Dave_72
05-21-2016, 03:17 PM
amp suggestions

bryston 14B3

pass labs x350.8

accuphase p-7300

any of the big mcintoshes.

that's it.

davidpou
05-22-2016, 06:16 AM
In the future I will be on the look out for a nicer pre-amp for the 4365 system. Any recommendations?

+1 on the ML preamps or bryston (BP17 or BP26) , as before the warmth of the MC one needs rigor in the signal and all the spectrum (alias good bass)...
Not sure about the MC preamps IMHO....
my new BP17 does wonders as compared to the C22 CE in every domains...

davidpou
05-22-2016, 06:19 AM
amp suggestions bryston 14B3

4B3 might be enough, wouldn't it ? my dream.....:bouncy:

JimR
05-22-2016, 08:39 AM

As stated above, I'm using a 4B2. It matches the max recommended power for the 4365 - 300w per channel.

Maybe bigger amps mights sound better, but I sure don't need any more power for volume reasons. I have never been near running the amp at full power even though I sometimes play pretty loud by domestic standards.

Also as stated above, my 4365s also sounded really sweet with the Almarro 318b I owned previously - it probably sounded better than the Bryston at normal levels but struggled once I played AC/DC. And that's with just 15w per channel!

And should I ever win the lottery (unlikely, as I do not play) and decide to try more power I shall switch the 4B2 to mono and buy a second one on eBay.

Jim.

tom1040
05-23-2016, 07:21 AM
So, I installed the McIntosh C50 in the system. Of course I did not wait around until the pre was "burned in" and was disappointed right off the bat. It sounded worse than the Yamaha it replaced. Had a bit of buyers remorse. Then, I let play at a very low level for about an hour. Being very curious, I went back down in the room and put on a familiar SACD--one of Marantz samplers(very well recorded). At that point my buyers remorse went out the window and I began to hear some of the best music I have heard with that particular sacd. I guess there is something to 'burning in' this gear albeit it did not take that long--although it may get even better as playing time is increased. I am using some higher end Audio Quest RCA connectors as the amp/pre are not fully balanced.

I am impressed with this pre-amp/amp combo. The pre sounds completely different than my McIntosh C46 did before I switched that out for my Marantz reference piece and the MC601's have all the power (and then some)to make the 4365's sing. The room is getting better and better. I am almost complete except for some acoustical gear that may/may not be needed--I am going to ask a friend who is in the 'business' to give me a hand at some point. I have to say that I really enjoy these speakers and the McIntosh set up. I now have two separate systems in which to choose from. I am a very lucky man to have this. It's been a long climb up the ladder for me in regards to my music systems. I understand I do not have "the best" but I am pretty damn happy with what I have. I am going to bring my pair of S/3100's up to my office. Going to use my Sansui G-8000 to drive them.

Thanks to all who have given me advice over the years!

Dave_72
05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
So, I installed the McIntosh C50 in the system. Of course I did not wait around until the pre was "burned in" and was disappointed right off the bat. It sounded worse than the Yamaha it replaced. Had a bit of buyers remorse. Then, I let play at a very low level for about an hour. Being very curious, I went back down in the room and put on a familiar SACD--one of Marantz samplers(very well recorded). At that point my buyers remorse went out the window and I began to hear some of the best music I have heard with that particular sacd. I guess there is something to 'burning in' this gear albeit it did not take that long--although it may get even better as playing time is increased. I am using some higher end Audio Quest RCA connectors as the amp/pre are not fully balanced.

I am impressed with this pre-amp/amp combo. The pre sounds completely different than my McIntosh C46 did before I switched that out for my Marantz reference piece and the MC601's have all the power (and then some)to make the 4365's sing. The room is getting better and better. I am almost complete except for some acoustical gear that may/may not be needed--I am going to ask a friend who is in the 'business' to give me a hand at some point. I have to say that I really enjoy these speakers and the McIntosh set up. I now have two separate systems in which to choose from. I am a very lucky man to have this. It's been a long climb up the ladder for me in regards to my music systems. I understand I do not have "the best" but I am pretty damn happy with what I have. I am going to bring my pair of S/3100's up to my office. Going to use my Sansui G-8000 to drive them.

Thanks to all who have given me advice over the years!

awesome system! good to see you're finally content...:applaud:

Dave_72
05-26-2016, 12:37 PM

definitely...