PDA

View Full Version : Speaker identification, possibly a type of Aquarius? Reel tapes

oznob
04-08-2016, 04:50 PM
In another thread I mentioned a friend of mine was able to purchase some JBL components from a former JBL employee. I got the rest of the story today. The former JBL employee, who later worked for Atari, passed away. His significant other is selling some of his collection. Today he picked up a tower speaker that appears to me like an Aquarius of some ilk. About 3' tall and 1' square. One single 8" driver firing upward into a metal inverted horn type structure. There was a broken piece of glass with a clover shaped opening that sat on the top of the horn. A black sock covered the opening on all four sides. A pair of the push-in wire connectors are on the bottom of the cabinet. Here are some pictures. He's hoping someone here can identify this speaker.

I purchased his Reel to Reel deck, an Akai GX-630D-SS and several home recorded tapes. One of the 10" tapes is labeled "15ips-Four Channel-Dolby Demo Tape from May '73 Sales Meeting." That may be a very interesting tape.

Don C
04-08-2016, 05:58 PM
There's no tweeter? It may be a early prototype version of the Aquarius 4 as mentioned here:
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/aquarius.htm
(http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/aquarius.htm)

oznob
04-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks Don, sure looks like that's the one. I don't think my friend's been brave enough to play it as yet. The cabinet is virtually flawless with a beautiful grain.

oznob
04-08-2016, 06:55 PM
The owner of the items was William (Bill) McPhetrick Jr. who sadly passed recently. I wonder if any of the former JBL employee's here remember Bill?

Odd
04-09-2016, 12:01 AM
L120 Aquarius Q ?

oznob
04-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Except for the top diffuser, LE20 and crossover, that looks like the speaker. Next time my friend goes to this place, I'm going to encourage him to take me. I could use the "I have a full size pick-up" ploy? I just have a feeling he is missing some good but not obvious stuff. Such as, he had a Marantz model 16 amplifier but no pre-amp? Tons of albums but no turntable? He is missing stuff and I, in the spirit of good friendship, will be more than happy to help.:D

mech986
04-13-2016, 05:18 PM
It may be the original Aquarius IV but missing the top. Curious that there is only one.