PDA

View Full Version : Info on the JBL D208

Jobrewer1983
04-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Hi All,

I recently picked up a set of the D-208 drivers, I'd like to get them re-coned but am having some trouble.

I'm in the process of re-coning them, and was able to track down some cone kits from speaker exchange. They are nice, but a little off in size. They will work, but I don't want to use them until I exhaust all my options.

I'm still on the hunt for originals. I doubt ill be able to track them down but had to ask if anyone on the site knows where I may be able to find some?

My other option is to have some built for me, I have a friend who works for a local stereo repair shop in the Bay area. He is able to have some cones built from scratch, but they are rather expensive to do so... I was able to salvage the coils, and gaskets. I can have new coils built for me for around $50 bucks so that's not to bad... They will be built to spec and would be flat wound as well.

Another option I have is to send them to Kenrick Sound in Japan. I have already reached out to them and it may be worth the money to have them knock them out with original parts.. Most expensive out of all options but they do amazing work.

On another note, can anyone tell me the original specs of the cone's? The cones I received from SE are a little smaller on the surround attachment from the originals. Can anyone tell me if they know the exact height and width of the cones? I know the coils are 2.006", but I cant seem to find the original cone specs anywhere.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
John

FE3T
04-08-2016, 01:14 PM
I can have new coils built for me for around $50 bucks so that's not to bad... They will be built to spec and would be flat wound as well.

Could you check what your supplier could do 2122H/2108H coils for?

3.000" ID. 0.170" WW. 52 turns. 5.8ohm DC. flat wound Copper ribbon wire. i belive 1" former heigth should be enough. Kapton former.

I need 2pcs, but could buy 4 if nessecary.

Arne.

10 Watt Street
04-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Check with Sundance Speaker Repair in Tucson. They are part of MWA Speaker Parts.
http://sundancespeakerrepair.com/

FE3T
04-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Check with Sundance Speaker Repair in Tucson. They are part of MWA Speaker Parts.

I have the MWA catalog and can order directly from them, but the only coil i can find with correct winding height are wound with regular round wire. Ill go with an E110 coil and forget abut an underhung driver before i use that.

10 Watt Street
04-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Give Colleen at Sundance/MWA a call, she has good resources.

Jobrewer1983
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Yes I can ask him, he is pretty skilled in his work. He uses Kapton for the coils. It handles the heat better.

I'd love to give the shop name some credit, but not sure if that is allowed on the forum... It's one of two shops in the Area so I'm sure some can guess..

Nonetheless he has been doing it for many JBL fans like us. I'll send him an email on Monday as I'll be ordering mine..

Im using my cell phone to post this so please forgive any typos.

I'll try to get on line tonight to respond to the other posts.

kind regards,
John

Jobrewer1983
04-11-2016, 10:15 AM

3.000" ID. 0.170" WW. 52 turns. 5.8ohm DC. flat wound Copper ribbon wire. i belive 1" former heigth should be enough. Kapton former.

Arne.

Hi Arne,

I sent him a text this morning. If you PM me with you email info, I can put you two in contact.

Kind Regards,
John

Jobrewer1983
04-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the Tip,

I spoke with Dave this morning, he said that the kits they have are the same as Speaker Exchange. There is no point in ordering it as the size of the cones they offer are not correct. If you were to cut the throat to the 2" as they should be, the cone height is a few mm to high, and if you open the throat to much it will be sitting on the spider, with a big gap between the spider and throat.. I'm a stickler for detail so this will not work for me.

I already ordered the kits from Speaker Exchange, and their suggestion is to "fill in the gap with adhesive." This is not good enough for me.

Nonetheless, I figured this would be the case.

My next option: I have already ordered a nice set of smooth cones with a 1" coil opening, the outer edge of the foam is 195mm and a set of 200mm, witch should be an exact fit for the basket. I will open the throat of the cone to 2.006", and than trim the top of the cone to be level with the basket landing. I will cut the foam and fit it to size. I will have for face mount the foam to the cone so it has a good clean look, as it will be next to impossible to cut the upper cone and have it look spot on... I can however get a nice perfect look of the foam as I've re-foamed many a drivers.. :) I pride myself in getting the foam work correct, and looking professional. I just knocked out some LE8T-H's a few weeks back, and they sound and look fantastic. Ill see if I can find some pictures... I have a full thread of them on AudioKarma. I also foamed a set of CV's recently that I do have a picture of.

For now I guess ill go with hacking up some smooth body cones and doing a foam or maybe rubber surround... Not sure if they will still sound as good, but the only way ill know is giving them a try.

I do have the original coils, and they are perfect, the only thing ill need to get my hands on is a few foam sets, ill be ordering them today.

the hunt will always be on for original cones, but until than ill have to get them looking as clean as I can. So some D-208's with a modern update. the good thing is the cones I ordered are the same texture as the original's, ill try to use a rubber surround to keep it nice and dark, could work out better. if they look good I may just keep them as is... If I had a way to have them cut perfectly on the top side of the cone i'd rear mount the foam as JBL did with most of their gear.

Either way, Ill be continuing the thread on the LH site. Once I get the baskets in ill be posting pictures along the way.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
John

Jobrewer1983
04-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Arne.

Hi Arne,

The tech said he can get them... let me know how you want to proceeded..