PDA

View Full Version : 4670/4675 for PA use?

audiomagnate
04-07-2016, 06:53 PM
My club has asked me to set up a small temporary (three or four months) outdoor PA while the main restaurant/bar patio is under renovation and both of these are available locally. It doesn't have to play that loud and I'm probably going to end up with them in my basement rig this fall. My questions are?
1.How much better does the 4675 sound than the 4670?
2.Is this a silly idea or should I just go the traditional small PA Speaker rout?
3. Do you think people will laugh at 4675's "buttcheeky" appearance?

The rest of the system will be a small mixing board and either one or two BGW 620Bs. Here's a pic of the "venue."

hsosdrum
04-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Without grilles, someone's bratty kid will put a finger through a woofer cone long before 3 months is up. And the particle-board cabs need to be kept dry. My vote is to go for speakers that have been designed for outdoor use if they're going to be left outside that long.

audiomagnate
04-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Without grilles, someone's bratty kid will put a finger through a woofer cone long before 3 months is up. And the particle-board cabs need to be kept dry. My vote is to go for speakers that have been designed for outdoor use if they're going to be left outside that long.

Point well taken about bratty kids (I can get metals grills for the woofers), but nothing will be exposed to weather. There's a whole restaurant/bar in there, complete with TV's, kitchen gear, cash registers etc. Nothing will be exposed to weather. There are sidewalls that get zipped up at the threat of any weather and at closing time, and the performance area is well protected even without the sidewalls.

1audiohack
04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
1.How much better does the 4675 sound than the 4670?
2.Is this a silly idea or should I just go the traditional small PA Speaker rout?
3. Do you think people will laugh at 4675's "buttcheeky" appearance?

33% better. :) I like the 2360 immensely, the 2380? Not so much.

Not silly. These should sound really good, add subs or LF EQ to taste.

Maybe, but they may well be very impressed at the natural sound of one of the best sounding true large format HF horns JBL ever made. There are very few that can best them in my opinion.

Barry.

grumpy
04-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Grill-ify port holes as well (animals).
Maybe get them off the ground a few inches (moisture).
Sun and even dampness will kill those boxes, might want
treated cones too.
+1 on the 2360 outdoors or large spaces.