PDA

View Full Version : Compression driver protective screens

audiomagnate
04-06-2016, 07:07 AM
I bought a pair of 2461's and one has a screen and the other doesn't. I was wondering how difficult it would be to source and add a screen to the one that doesn't have one. I live in buggy Atlanta, so running bareback isn't a good idea IMO.

Horn Fanatic
04-06-2016, 07:15 AM
I bought a pair of 2461's and one has a screen and the other doesn't. I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a screen to the one that doesn't have one. I live in buggy Atlanta, so running bareback isn't a good idea IMO.

Bug screens in compression drivers for domestic use are unnecessary. Their intentional use was to keep bugs from nesting in the drivers used for outdoor applications.
They do in fact, introduce an acoustic resistance. Is your bug problem that bad? If so they would have nested in your woofers by entering in through the spider ( no pun intended ).
If I owned your drivers I would remove the remaining screen. There is no way to replace the screen without completely disassembling the driver. Is it worth going to that expense?

Perhaps a small acoustic foam plug would suffice?

H.F.

Wagner
04-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I bought a pair of 2461's and one has a screen and the other doesn't. I was wondering how difficult it would be to source and add a screen to the one that doesn't have one. I live in buggy Atlanta, so running bareback isn't a good idea IMO.
I use sheer fabric on the other end or between driver and throat joint

Install left up to your imagination/needs, but here's one way:

Panty hose material works well and is fine enough to cause no acoustic damage and thin enough to go between driver and horn with no negatives (as if nothing's there)
Stretch it over the opening, push it down in place over the studs, put the horn back on and snug things up
Trim away the selvage
You're done

If you don't want stretchy, the fabric store has some stuff that will work, a mesh like the stuff JBL used to put on the L100 grille frames

And you are correct, if there's any way in SOMETHING's gonna either visit and get stuck or lay an egg in there

Pisses me off to no end, especially with tuner and receiver rulers (and ALWAYS the most difficult to remove)

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2016, 10:36 AM
And you are correct, if there's any way in SOMETHING's gonna either visit and get stuck or lay an egg in there

yup, they will. :(

I bought these a while back..notice the mud wasp eggs in the horn ?