PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Find This Site?

Don McRitchie
11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
The thread about how members found out about JBLpro reminded me of a similar question that I have been curious about for some time. How did you first find out about the Lansing Heritage site and this forum? I'm guessing that for most it was a Google or similar search. However, I know that if you enter the most common search terms relevant to this site (JBL or Altec Lansing) you will find us buried quite a few pages deep in their search results. I'm guessing that it would have been a more specific search that led you to us and I'm curious what that may have been. I would also like to hear if you found out about us through other means (links from other sites, references in other forums or even the few print references we have had).

johnaec
11-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I was in contact with a guy from the DIY subwoofer forum about cabinet specs for a 2245H when he mentioned this place - 'new to me. My first post here was looking for advice on a bass guitar combo using the 2245H, and shortly thereafter info on the Sub1500 came up, after which I purchased three, one of which I now use for bass guitar instead of the 2245H. Once here, I was hooked - I had no idea there were others as crazy as me about JBL stuff... :cool:

John

Zilch
11-26-2004, 08:00 PM
It was Google, and I no doubt found it buried many pages down, or a reference to it, looking for JBL. I believe you said the site first went up in May, 2000. I was a member of the first forum, asking if you thought it appropriate for parts "Scroungers" to post there.

You said, "Yes, good idea!" :D

Do you still have an original forum archive? Just for fun, when was that post?

Don C
11-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I think that the first time that I visited, it may have been a link from an eBay auction.

Earl K
11-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Good Question

The problem is, I realize that I have no idea what the answer actually is/was . Oh Oh, MadCow !

<. Earl K

Robh3606
11-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Wow I remember posting in the first forum too. I think there were like 10 or 20 posts!! when I stumbled in. This is what the 4th forum?? Look how much it has grown!!! My first posts were about upgrades and cabinets. Think it was a link out from AA that first got me here. Long time ago not to sure now!

Rob:)

Oldmics
11-27-2004, 01:15 AM
I remember using the search feature of the now defunct DC free internet in June of 2000.I was looking for JBL stuff for sale other than the eBay way.After pawing thru 20 pages or so this site revealed itself.

Been on my favorites list ever since.I guess I was in the first 50 or so people to register at the time.

All of the old forums have great info in them.Including the secret identity of the "G" man.

Oldmics

scott fitlin
11-27-2004, 09:56 AM
I had once typed in www.voiceofthetheatre.com (http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com) and came across that site, that was around 2000, I was looking for parts for my altec woofers!

Then I had done a search on Google for vintage JBL cabinets and speakers, and there you were, www.audioheritage.org (http://www.audioheritage.org/)!

I remember the original forum, was like all the forums of the time, basic, BUT, this site had and still has, the most comprehensive collection of literature, specs, and pictures of old Altec, and JBL, as well as modern Altec, whatever they made into the 90,s, and current JBL! I had always heard of JBL actually being one of the first, if not the first, to make and use huge folded horn bass systems but had never seen them, and then this site had all the info on Shearer horns, very much like the 70,s and 80,s bass horns Richard Long had made!

The original forum was good, people talking about older JBL and Altec, a sound of an era gone!

Then the forum changed format, and to me, this is when it really took off! There are many fantastic minds, with extensive knowledge, and technical know how right here, this forum has grown, and matured quite a bit!

Because of this forum, many people know about traditional JBL, that otherwise never would have, and I`m sure companies would have preferred they didnt, but, oh well. We also drove the Ebay prices through the roof, too!

I found this through Google, and the literature was the absolute best!

Steve Gonzales
11-27-2004, 01:17 PM
My wife had been constantly asking me to get her a computer not so long ago, when we finally did, I didn't really get "into it" for a couple months when she showed me the Google feature and the first thing I did was put in L166 (my first pair). Best thing that has happened to me in a while!. I still didn't even know enough to explore the entire site, so when I finally got comfortable surfing, I looked at the discussion forum. This may sound cheesy but after having virtually NO ONE to talk about JBL (my passion for 30years!) with, when I finally did read all the wonderful things offered from the WORLD'S GREATEST SITE, I almost shead a tear (okay,one:D ). To have this forum is SO COOL!!!. Again, my frustration for so many years was the complete and utter LACK of an outlet for this passion for all things JBL. You can ask ANYONE I've known for the last 30 years to sum up what they think is Steve's passion and without fail, they will say those three little letters-JBL. Thank you Don for your dedication and wisdom and I look forward to many years of enjoyment. Happy Holidays to ALL!, sincerely, Steve G

:smthsail:

Mr. Widget
11-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Thank you Google!

Widget

paragon
11-28-2004, 03:17 AM
By Harman Deutschland.

Eckhard

louped garouv
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
while searching for info on my ALTEC 19s on www.wavemsic.com (http://www.wavemsic.com)...

think the post came from scotty or PBSound

Steve Schell
12-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi Don, I found out about this site after a crazy guy in Maui named Steve Lewis told me about this guy in Winnipeg who was into JBL and had lots of literature and we all got together and decided to put up this web site to explore Jim Lansing's legacy and publish all the literature we could get our hands on and you visited L.A. three times so we could interview all the current and former JBL and Altec people we could find and you wrote to inform me that the site was up in prototype form and we launched it officially on, what was it, May 25, 2000?

Congratulations Don, for taking the ball and running with it and building one of the best damn enthusiast sites and discussion forums on the www!

Steve Gonzales
12-02-2004, 11:54 PM
I love this stuff!! KUDOS to all the people whose insight , passion and dedication to excellence have given all us JBL "nuts" a place to gather and enjoy!

Guido
12-03-2004, 04:41 AM
I saw 2x 2405, 2x 2420/2307/2308 and 2x 3143 networks all in perfect condition on german ebay for 400 Euro (was 400 USD then) and grabbed them instantly without knowing exactly what I'm doing. :D

Thanks to google I found this site and than I learned what I have done. It was the deal of my life :D

The following week I grabbed 2x 4343 cabs from german ebay. Sometimes you have that luck :cool:

Then I started to hunt 2x 2235 and 2x 2121 like a crazy one.

2235s was hard to get but 2121 was a nightmare. Thanks to Giskard my 4343s are finished since summer this year :bouncy:

So thats the story...

gearhead
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Google . Found this Site while looking for some info on the Net about the L 220. . Made my first post 08/ 2000. Learned a heck of a lot in the last four years. Kudos to all the people who made this Site happen and filled it with life!

Juergen

porschedpm
12-04-2004, 03:33 AM
The first time I found the Lansing Heritage site was a result of Google. In the 70's my friend and I were really into stereo's and JBL's and practically lived at Stereo West and then Warehouse Sound in San Luis Obispo. We used to think that the L100's were the cat's meow because that was about all we could ever hope to afford back then. Sure we would listen to the L65's, L200's, and L300's but they were so far outside our budgets, the larger JBLs were never even a possibility. A couple of years ago I thought it would be cool to put together a sort of small retro stereo system. I had an old Sansui AU-317 integrated amp and a Denon CD player that I'd been using in my garage. I got on eBay and found a halfway decent pair of L100's. The little retro system actually sounded pretty darn good. Well one day I was looking for literature for the L100's. I did a Google search and found the Lansing Heritage JBL Library. I was like a kid in a candy store. I literally spent days reading in there. It sounds silly, but I probably went months before I stumbled upon the Forum section. I still am finding new stuff when I go rooting around the site. I must admit that the Lansing Heritage site, even though it's provided me countless hours of enjoyment, has also been partly to blame for my new addiction, er I mean hobby. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing and as I read more about the different models it doesn't take me long to find a JBL model I don't have that's better than the JBLs I currently have. And I've just gotta have it. And so goes my ongoing journey from L100's to L65's to 4312B's to 120Ti' to 4343's to who knows what's next. Anyway I do enjoy this site and goofing around with JBLs (and stereo equipment). It's a passion I had as a kid and this site has helped rekindle that passion.

Bruno GINARD
12-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Copernic engine.

I make a search every month about JBL , Altec and so one

OFD
12-05-2004, 12:00 PM
As a computer tech, I’m used to searching the Net (usually via Google) for answers to problems about all things PC. My L101s gave me cause to diligently search out the web for the kind of info that I needed. EBay here, Google there, and something else in between finally brought me to this site.

<o =""></o>The response to my questions was great – no condescending, looking down their noses attitudes. Just a great bunch of people with a common passion who have rekindled my enthusiasm for the JBL legacy that started with my father many, many years ago. He was a perfectionist with a love for classical music, who would buy nothing but the best. His first Mac driven Tannoy 15” monitor gold (in the hi-fi 50s) ended up in my house when he graduated to the Lancers and the world of stereo. My own music is much more eclectic, ranging from the classics to the great sound of the Elvis and Beatles eras and beyond. Procol Harum with the Edmonton Symphony just blew my mind, and still does. I continue to find great old stuff at flea markets and pawn shops.

Interesting side note for Don. I spent the late 60s through the 70s in Charleswood, where ….er, uhm, a little weed (never inhaled, heh heh) crept into our lives for a while as we would spend many a night listening to the great music of that time. It was then that I happened upon Western Sound on <st1 =""><st1:city w:st="on">Portage</st1:city></st1> (are they still around?) and bought my first Sansui (forget the model). While in the store, I saw a huge honking DIY corner enclosure taking up much of the limited showroom floor space. They told me it needed the air space because it was home to a 15” Tannoy monitor gold. SOLD! Those were some of the best days of my life and I’m sure I came close to blowing the windows out of house. Cats and dogs from all over <st1:city w:st="on"><st1 ="">Winnipeg</st1></st1:city> used to gather in my front yard just to hear the sound that only their ears could pick up.

<o =""></o>When my parents passed away, I inherited the C56/L101s and they have been in use ever since. It was only when, through my curiosity of whether to sell these and get something more “modern”, that I found your amazing site. Who could imagine that there would be so much knowledge, know-how and love for the pure sound produced by the JBL of the past to be found in a site dedicated to that passion alone? Fantastic!

<o =""></o>Don, you and your past partners have given us all a place to share and learn. I am here regularly to pick up new tips and, in fact, just bought 85’ of 12 gauge cable yesterday to rewire my system. The other tips I have received on my crossovers have resulted in a quantum leap in output quality. During a short test session the other night, my dog was transfixed and, for a while, became Nipper (the RCA dog) as he sat in front of one of the speakers, his head twisting and turning with each new note. The real bummer is that I now live in a townhouse and have almost knocked the neighbor's china cabinet over. Guess I’ll have to get their home and away schedules to plan my listening around.

<o =""></o>Thanks to all who have helped, and especially to you, Don, for giving us this medium. Have a wonderful Holiday season.

Dave

paragon
12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Guido, you are a "new" JBL-Freak ??
Bruno, show us your Hartsfield !!

Eckhard

jbl
12-17-2004, 02:32 PM
For me it was www.classic-audio.com (http://www.classic-audio.com/). I was looking up my Marantz equipment when I came across the links section.

Ron

Steve Gonzales
12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
OFD : Great story and tribute!!!! Bruno: You MUST post pictures of those Hartsfields !!! This has got to be the very best thread along with the "How did you first learn about JBL" IMHO. It is an insight into what began so much happiness. I just love to read all the responses and say to myself, "right, uh huh, yes! .

yggdrasil
12-18-2004, 11:55 AM
I found the site through google looking for specs on 2440, 2441, 375.

luvvinvinyl
12-18-2004, 12:41 PM
When esteemed senior members of AudioKarma posted about the LHPS raffle, I had to find out what the buzz was all about. I got in the raffle, and registered. Much reading to do. Much to learn.

Many years ago, seems like another lifetime, used some JBL drivers in instrument amplifiers, with much pleasure and great local success.

Mr. Widget
12-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Well you better win that raffle so that you will be a fellow Lansing owner and continue listening to the "right" speakers. :yes:

Widget

luvvinvinyl
12-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, if that isn't a first-class welcome to the site, I don't know what is!http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/thumbup.gif
I've got some SS gear, and have tickets on an MC2100 that draws tonight. L100's and McIntosh? That would give me some serious listening to do! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thanks, and Happy Holidays, to all

Audiobeer
12-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I was recovering from a whiskey bender with my face laying sideways on the hardwood floor. As I opened my eyes I felt an excrutiating pain as the "Extra terrestials" placed the implant in the back of my brain stem. Ever since then I have a constant headache and a need to be here and to get as much imformation as I can. :D

chheffer
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
After I picked up my L100T`s at auction for $65.00 I was curious what they were worth, They sounded great and are in great shape.I was at MSN and searched jbl l100t. This site was the first couple hits. I`m glad I found it!!:D
Thanks, Chris P.S. Some moron put a ( F#@% You )under coments in the guest book.I sent you a private message but hasn`t been opened yet.Thought you should know.

JBL Dog
02-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I was recovering from a whiskey bender with my face laying sideways on the hardwood floor. As I opened my eyes I felt an excrutiating pain as the "Extra terrestials" placed the implant in the back of my brain stem. Ever since then I have a constant headache and a need to be here and to get as much imformation as I can. :D

That makes two of us.

This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

Titanium Dome
02-03-2005, 11:21 AM
This may sound cheesy but after having virtually NO ONE to talk about JBL (my passion for 30years!) with, when I finally did read all the wonderful things offered from the WORLD'S GREATEST SITE, I almost shead a tear (okay,one:D ). To have this forum is SO COOL!!!. Again, my frustration for so many years was the complete and utter LACK of an outlet for this passion for all things JBL.

So true, so true. :applaud:

I came to the site originally when searching for replacement grilles for my L100s and a Sherlock search brought me in. I came back to the site frequently to use the resources, but I never got into the forums after that initial inquiry until I re-activated my account with Don's help about a year ago.

I was investing a lot of time on other sites, frequently being a proponent of JBL past and present, yet getting flamed :flamed: and taunted to get "real speakers" or to take my "JBL (Just Be Loud) junk" elsewhere. Occasionally another JBL fan would chime in, but they were usually new owners of Northridge Series speakers and not too much into the heritage, tradition, or variety of the JBL line. They often got hit even harder than I did. :bash: :die: :argue: Usually, they never posted there again.

Plus, constantly fencing with people gets old. :duel: There's not much respect in other forums for JBL technology, for its accomplishments, or for the quality of its products. It's considered a has-been consumer level company by so-called audiophiles and their fawning wanna-bes.

So, I come here where I can mention the Performance Series and someone actually knows what I mean. Where the SVA Series and the 1990s L Series can be mentioned without total revilement, or even the L100 can be brought up with mostly respectful if not admiring commentary.

As wonderful as the purpose of the site is, it's the quality of the people that make the site great. :yes:

4313B
02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Nice post! :yes:

even the L100 can be brought up with mostly respectful if not admiring commentaryNow that is a shame. :p

We'll have to crank up the ol' L100 shredding mill again! There just ain't enough high cliffs to kick those freakin' things off are there...
Norwegian Fjords perhaps...:hmm:

Titanium Dome
02-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Now that is a shame. :p

We'll have to crank up the ol' L100 shredding mill again! There just ain't enough high cliffs to kick those freakin' things off are there...
Norwegian Fjords perhaps...:hmm:

Yes, I was thinking of you when I wrote that. :biting: You could always take some out to to Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island and throw them off the Perry's Victory and international Peace Monument http://www.nps.gov/pevi/ into Lake Erie.

Shout, "We have met the L100s, and they are ours!" as you toss them to a watery grave.

Alex Lancaster
02-03-2005, 10:19 PM
;) Dear Ti: Aren´t us so sweet.

speakerdave
02-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I was interested in exploring full range single drivers and was looking for information on enclosures for the LE8T. I read posts for quite a while before posting myself and pretty soon I was owner of a pair of Jubals that I drove to LA to pick up. I later bought a pair of LSR32's without ever having heard them, and have been very satisfied with them since. But I am still interested in exploring the classic monitors and sound reinforcement JBL, and also the K2 M9500's or something like that. I remember feeling quite gratified at the way obviously experienced and knowledgable people responded to my rather ill-formed and open-ended questions--Robert H., Rob, Giskard, Scotty, Widget, Bo, Alex, Tom, and others--with enough information to bring me along one step at a time. I also remember the dead silences when I spoke so fondly of my years with the Altec 604-8G's. Now I have a number of speaker projects happening at once. I bought so much JBL stuff on eBay for a while there that when I finally cleaned out my garage I found two spear guns, a box of proctological torpedoes and a '94 Lincoln. This forum is a good way to decompress from the work-a-day world. It's been great meeting you all here.

David

Mr. Widget
02-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I bought so much JBL stuff on eBay for a while there that when I finally cleaned out my garage I found two spear guns, a box of proctological torpedoes and a '94 Lincoln. This forum is a good way to decompress from the work-a-day world. It's been great meeting you all here. -David

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Widget

jarrods
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
yeah searching for JBL driver information in Google i found my two fav sites:

http://www.jblsucks.com/ (<- NO JOKE IT IS REAL)

and

http://audioheritage.org/

jarrod

Titanium Dome
02-14-2005, 04:35 AM

jarrod

Well, I must say I was a little disappointed, since I totally expected some real trash talking from Bose and C-V fans. :biting:

OTOH, it's pretty clever move on the part of the domain owner.

duaneage
02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
I decided to finally build a pair of 4411 clones and I was looking for crossover diagrams and cabinet specifications when I ran across this site. It has far exceeded my expectations and got me back into designing and building speakers again.

duaneage
02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah searching for JBL driver information in Google i found my two fav sites:

My company does the same thing, we own probably a hundred different domain name variations and they all resolve our home page

Alan Fletcher
03-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I think I just did a google on James B. Lansing, or JBL Paragon, and Poof! There it was!

Thanks Don and all the others for this great site!

-Alan

Butch Adams
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I found the site with a search on google.
Here is the story that got me here.
In high school (back in the 70's) I had built many book shelf speakers that were respectable. They looked good and sold well but I wanted to build a speaker with more bass, higher SPL.
After college I built a few disappointing larger format speakers. Needing some direction I consulted my uncle Mike (a mechanical engineer) on what I was doing wrong. He came by to inspect my latest endeavor and pointed out that while my construction was solid my components were inadequate and I lacked the equipment necessary to tune the box properly. He invited me over to check out his reproduction of an Altec voice of the theater speakers in which he used Altec, EV, and JBL components. Oh, I was hooked, face shaking bass, ear ringing SPL's, I was in heaven.
I have spent the last 20 + years (as funds allowed) trying to achive something near what my uncle Mike had built so many years ago.
This site has become my single source for information to aid me in my quest. Though sometimes the level of information makes me feel abet like the peanut salesman at the rocket scientist convention http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif I'm hoping some of the membership will be kind enough to break it down for me.
Thanks for this place.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif

Stonehenge Man
05-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I know you from other forums, which is how I originally got here. I recycled some Altec Model three cabinets for a present to my nephew. I bought some used Altec drivers to replace the long-gone originals. Unfortunately, one of the tweeters ended up dead. Fortunately, at least another half dead pair of 1960s speakers yielded Jensen tweeters and I am preparing to build custom grilles.

Perhaps I will be luckier with the Altecs I am picking up in a trade, but it will a very large task.

They are Stonehenge I models, hence my name.