PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic backing

quindecima
03-24-2016, 09:10 AM
After looking at my room,15x25, I don't think I am going to be able to set my 4345's far enough away from the wall what kind of acoustic material can I put behind them that would look fairly decent?

Challenger604
03-24-2016, 10:01 AM
After looking at my room,15x25, I don't think I am going to be able to set my 4345's far enough away from the wall what kind of acoustic material can I put behind them that would look fairly decent?

Hi Ed, Thoms or ... I don't remember!
This what I used to put behind my speakers. I did use it also for my bass traps. I think it works very well!

http://www.rona.ca/en/panel-acoustic
I'm sure you can find it in the US.
Cheers!

Christophe

badman
03-24-2016, 10:28 AM
If you can, a fabric wrapped rigid fiberglass panel (or a fabric covered frame with "Ultratouch", spaced halfway between cabinet back and wall, is best. Either of these materials will give broadband absorption, and the bigger, the better. Spacing off the wall is helpful in that damping is most effective at high velocity low pressure- wall boundaries are low velocity high pressure.

How little space off the wall are we talking about?

DavidF
03-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Is your concern reflections to the wall behind the speaker and the relative closeness of the enclosures to that wall? What part of the frequency spectrum are you targeting? Broad-band bass absorption requires a whole lot of depth of material to work for you.

quindecima
03-24-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm afraid the speakers will be too close to the wall and reflections could be a problem. I'll be lucky to get 8in. or so off the wall, probably 8 angled to 12.

BMWCCA
03-24-2016, 05:38 PM
My room is roughly 11 x 15-ft and my 4345s are as close to the 15-foot wall as they can get and stuffed into the corners. They're toed-in about 30-degrees. Makes them about 10-inches away from the side wall at their front-outside corner. They sound fine at any level and all frequencies. I wouldn't worry about it until you actually find you have a problem. These are pretty amazing speakers. See my sig below for Greg's assessment of their character!

DavidF
03-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Setting aside bass build up you have some wide baffles and horn treble units that may go a long way in controlling side reflection and baffle diffraction.

Slap back may be issue (bounce between walls in front of you and behind). Some 2-4 inch absorptive panels could be useful hanging directly between the speakers and falling in your line of sight and, if in the budget, directly behind you. May be an issue if you have a TV screen there. I took a different approach on the wall between the speakers. I found a hanging tapestry that was fairly loose knitted (allowing sound to penetrate ala grill cover material) and had a vinyl backing. I cut the backing centered vertically down the back of the tapestry that allowed me to fill in with 3 inches of ground up blue jean insulation. Then I taped off the seam. The piece is (I think) 4 x 5 feet and is hung off of a curtain rod. About $250 for the tapestry and more for the rod and fill.

Side wall reflections would be the next consideration. Then the wall behind you.

There are some resources to guide in what may be needed such as found on the GIK site (gikacoustics.com). Caution though, you kind of have to go all in for bulk in dealing with sound absorption. There is not much to gain with a few thin panels scattered about in trying to control the influence of reflected sound that extends down into the midrange.

Challenger604
03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
I could've gone to the exptreme but that was the last panel up. Maybe one more just above the couch.
Thought about clouds but where do you stop? I didn't want to loose all the acoustic of the room.

I added hears to the main to extend the panel on each side.
Same panel but wider on corners as bass traps.

Those panel are $25 for 4x8 and they work very well.
If you don't have too much room, that's what I would use...
C