PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Repair

Reconer
11-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I have an old (1987) Ensoniq ESQ1 keyboard that still has good output, but the display has suddenly changed to just showing zero's on startup. So I can no longer tell what sounds I'm accessing. If anyone knows a repair outlet near Atlanta, or at this point anywhere else, I would be grateful. Also, if anyone has troubleshooting suggestions, I'm not beyone some simple component replacements myself.

Thanks,
<<JJ>>

GordonW
11-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Don't know for sure if it'll lead anywhere, but you might want to call Crossover Entertainment Group, in NW Atlanta, and ask them who they might recommend. With the number of keyboards and such they rent (we rented a Yammie S90 from them back in Sept., great folks, good unit in good condition, BTW), I'm sure they probably have to deal with this kind of thing here and there.

Don't have their number handy... but if you call Jeff or Ron at NWSE they should be able to give you the number (that's where I got it from originally)...

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW
11-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, James over at Northwest (NWSE) might be able to handle this repair, himself. Might wanna try calling NWSE first, in any case...

Regards,
Gordon.

Reconer
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks Gordon.
I finally talked to James today who basically declined on this issue. Even though I offered schematics of almost every component of this keyboard.

So, before I introduce my ESQ1 keyboard to the dumpster, do you have an opinion about Wizard Electronics or GTS?

As always, you input is appreciated.

JJ

GordonW
11-30-2004, 09:04 PM
IMHO, ANYBODY BUT Wizard. Never again, for me. :banghead:

Who is GTS, by the way? Not familiar with them.

Did you try calling Crossover Entertainment? They've been pretty helpful to me. They might not be able/willing to give you reference to whoever they use, but then again, they might...

Regards,
Gordon.

Reconer
12-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Sorry, didn't realize dyslexia had set in. The other company was actually CTG, http://www.ctgatlanta.com/about.html

Haven't had a chance to call Crossover yet, hopefully tomorrow.
Both you and Ron at NWSE STRONGLY advise against Wizard, so that's good enough for me.

But I've also possibly found a "parts car" on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64426&item=3766301952 Wish me luck ! ! !

Oh, and I owe you a picture of that speaker you designed for me.......what, nearly a year ago? I finally finished it. Finding the right musicians in this town has been a real pain. Hence the "back burner" status.
Charging the digital camera batteries as I type. Stay tuned.

JJ