PDA

View Full Version : 4350

KTG
03-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Hello, looking for the best way to elevate my 4350 speakers. They need to be raised about 9 inches. Should they be on spikes? Coupled or decoupled from the floor? Currently they are on carpet over concrete with thin padding. Any experience with these would be helpful. Not sure how to approach this., thanks

Challenger604
03-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Hello, looking for the best way to elevate my 4350 speakers. They need to be raised about 9 inches. Should they be on spikes? Coupled or decoupled from the floor? Currently they are on carpet over concrete with thin padding. Any experience with these would be helpful. Not sure how to approach this., thanks

Hi there,
I build stands to match the TV stand that I build also.
It's 14" high with six casters per stand.
when I sit in my couch, my eyes are at the level just a little above the bottom of the 2202's.
They sound amazing of course.
I would not worry about the floor, you wont move a micron of your concrete!

But, this what I did, may not work for anyone else...

Cheers!
C

KTG
03-24-2016, 05:53 AM
Thanks c, appreciate the information and the photo,70450 very nice stands, good idea,. would you consider spikes for these speakers or just a waste of time and money, thanks again, ktg

Challenger604
03-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks c, appreciate the information and the photo,70450 very nice stands, good idea,. would you consider spikes for these speakers or just a waste of time and money, thanks again, ktg

Pretty nice!
No, I wouldn't...
Casters would be enough. So you can vaccum under once in awhile LOL!!!
Spikes would not do anything.

Cheers!
Christophe

Challenger604
03-24-2016, 08:07 AM

What I would do though! Added to the stands, I would build bass traps on corners... That would improve the acoustic of your room.
C

PS: I also add acoustic panels behing the speakers. Not enough room to keep them away from the wall...

KTG
03-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the photos, i have more bass traps on order and panels, just finished the room 3 weeks ago, thanks again c

Challenger604
03-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the photos, i have more bass traps on order and panels, just finished the room 3 weeks ago, thanks again c

Good for you! I'm sure you're enjoying it!!

Cheers!
Christophe

berga12
03-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Hi,
i've the same problem, and i'm thinking to use Bricks or stones like those ones:

http://www.ferraribk.it/images/ferraribk/img_griglie_prodotti/img_grid_blocchi_murature/img_grid_cavi.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X4g103MyDFE/VkzYdZbZA0I/AAAAAAAAA8c/kNOh91UM-yk/s1600/clay-red-bricks-250x250.png

the first ones are available in 5-8-12-16-20cm (maybe slightly different...)

look below for something similar:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PerxvQ27J9Q/VQfR1RbvxdI/AAAAAAAA22Y/eWo1TleN8PM/s1600/10995321_365661303634398_6156043968519951867_o.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PWAm_uBLJFw/UDYIhCYx4XI/AAAAAAAAAV0/xLUqNjyq1xA/s1600/6X9C6371.JPG

Pro: Great from Estethical point of view, but forget to move the speakers :), place a rubber foil below briks (8-10mm) or neoprene (non adesive).

Challenger604
03-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Good idea too but when you want to move them around! Good luck! A real pain!

Mr. Widget
03-25-2016, 10:09 AM
That's funny... I was looking at that lower image with the 4350s shoehorned into that room and realized those small black boxes under them are a pair of custom crossovers I built back in 2005. Small world.

In that case, I think I would try moving the HF drivers to the outboard position and use a significant amount of absorption along the sides for first reflection control.

Widget

JeffW
03-25-2016, 10:39 AM
That's funny... I was looking at that lower image with the 4350s shoehorned into that room and realized those small black boxes under them are a pair of custom crossovers I built back in 2005. Small world.

In that case, I think I would try moving the HF drivers to the outboard position and use a significant amount of absorption along the sides for first reflection control.

Widget

Those speakers are on Youtube where the movers are delivering them to a guy in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MrNKmBBEo

Vahe Sahakian
03-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Those speakers are on Youtube where the movers are delivering them to a guy in Japan.

I have seen that YouTube several times, very interesting, I will give Japanese credit for recognizing quality where and when they see one. I wonder of the owner specifically preferred not to have the 2308 installed. Also the listening room shown on that YouTube is just too small for these speakers.

I also noticed that he is a vinyl fanatic, I was also a vinyl fanatic but after I assembled my 4350 I had to totally abandon vinyl, with these four way speakers every pop and click hits you right on the face, for pop and rock vinyl is manageable with 4350’s but with classical which is my primary interest vinyl amounts to disaster, particularly in very quiet passages where surface noise starts to compete with music.

Vahe

JeffW
03-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Pop and click used to bother me until I got a VPI 16.5 ;)

Mr. Widget
03-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Pop and click used to bother me until I got a VPI 16.5 ;)Clean records and a high quality cartridge go a long way to minimizing the distraction.

Damn... OT again!

Widget

DavidF
03-25-2016, 12:38 PM
I have seen that YouTube several times, very interesting, I will give Japanese credit for recognizing quality where and when they see one. I wonder of the owner specifically preferred not to have the 2308 installed. Also the listening room shown on that YouTube is just too small for these speakers.

I also noticed that he is a vinyl fanatic, I was also a vinyl fanatic but after I assembled my 4350 I had to totally abandon vinyl, with these four way speakers every pop and click hits you right on the face, for pop and rock vinyl is manageable with 4350’s but with classical which is my primary interest vinyl amounts to disaster, particularly in very quiet passages where surface noise starts to compete with music.

Vahe

I have a Fool proof way to realize utter silence on records. First clean the record surface, de-stat the record, clean the stylus with concentration of pure water and ammonia. Place the tone arm and start the platter and drop the cartridge onto track one. Then set the preamp input selection to "CD" and push "Play" on the CD player. Sit down and enjoy.

Well...it's almost April Fool's day.

grumpy
03-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Lol, there is no such thing as fool proof. :)

JeffW
03-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Lol, there is no such thing as fool proof. :)

You can try to make things idiot proof...

And then they just build a better idiot. :)

BTW, that's just a little aphorism, apropos of nothing, and certainly not directed at anybody in the thread.

grumpy
03-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Lol. I'm living proof :)

btw, only 4350's I ever heard were at a radio station, hung by chains from the ceiling 🙄

berga12
03-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Challenger you are right, if possible better to plan some wheels on the bottom.

is it possible to build the below shelf with some hidden wheels to help room movment...beside that,one time they are in place maybe there is no need to move them so often? :confused:

Challenger604
03-30-2016, 05:01 AM
Challenger you are right, if possible better to plan some wheels on the bottom.

is it possible to build the below shelf with some hidden wheels to help room movment...beside that,one time they are in place maybe there is no need to move them so often? :confused:

True! Doesn't need to be move around but I like to have the possibility to do so without breaking my back!
C