PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - need info on 416-8C and compatible components

thevinoman
03-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Hi folks, I will readily admit that I know virtually nothing about Altec, JBL, etc, except that I just recently acquired a pair of beautiful 416-8C woofers. I would like some info on these, such as what speakers were these installed in, what are matching components such as tweeters, horns, crossovers and enclosures. A friend has some VOTT boxes (don't yet know the model) that we might try to restore, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into as far as parts, etc. Thanks for any help!! I tried doing several searches here, but either I'm not doing it right, or the search engine just doesn't like my entries....

speakerdave
03-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Hi folks, I will readily admit that I know virtually nothing about Altec, JBL, etc, except that I just recently acquired a pair of beautiful 416-8C woofers. I would like some info on these, such as what speakers were these installed in, what are matching components such as tweeters, horns, crossovers and enclosures. A friend has some VOTT boxes (don't yet know the model) that we might try to restore, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into as far as parts, etc. Thanks for any help!! I tried doing several searches here, but either I'm not doing it right, or the search engine just doesn't like my entries....

Hi, sounds like a nice find. If they're minty we like photos.

Try (above) Library>Altec Library>Specs>Speaker Components>416-8C.

They were used in the Model Nineteen matched with 811 horns, a 1200Hz crossover and 902's. The Altec VOT components are pretty much mix and match.

Wagner
03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=416-8C+

Wagner
03-11-2016, 01:00 PM
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=416-8C+audioheritage.org

gdmoore28
03-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Boy, do you open a can of worms when you start with the Altec 416 as a building block! A good can of worms. The 416 was used in an amazing variety of Altec speaker systems, and the array of matching components can be staggering. Most often, the 416 was married to either the 811b or 511b horn, which was driven most commonly by the 802 driver, and crossed using either a 500Hz or 800Hz crossover. That's the basics. The combinations grow exponentially from there.

Suggest you sign on to the Altec User's Board (http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html). Combine that info with the information available here and on the Great Plains Audio web site (http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/), especially the cataloged Altec product sheets and building plans, and you can get a pretty good idea as to where you want to go with your build.

Outside of the repair and recreation of classic Altec speaker systems, web sites such as Audio Karma and others have reams of information on building Altec-equipped modern designs, most of which centers around constructing crossovers that are able to tame some of the more objectionable sonic characteristics of Altec horn/drivers, and making them perform on par with some of the finest home audio speakers.

There are a few very knowledgeable Altec guys here who are wonderful at answering specific questions you may have. Do a little research and let us know where you want to go with your build.

GeeDeeEmm

Challenger604
03-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Altec?? What is that???

thevinoman
03-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Boy, do you open a can of worms when you start with the Altec 416 as a building block! A good can of worms. The 416 was used in an amazing variety of Altec speaker systems, and the array of matching components can be staggering. Most often, the 416 was married to either the 811b or 511b horn, which was driven most commonly by the 802 driver, and crossed using either a 500Hz or 800Hz crossover. That's the basics. The combinations grow exponentially from there.

Suggest you sign on to the Altec User's Board (http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html). Combine that info with the information available here and on the Great Plains Audio web site (http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/), especially the cataloged Altec product sheets and building plans, and you can get a pretty good idea as to where you want to go with your build.

Outside of the repair and recreation of classic Altec speaker systems, web sites such as Audio Karma and others have reams of information on building Altec-equipped modern designs, most of which centers around constructing crossovers that are able to tame some of the more objectionable sonic characteristics of Altec horn/drivers, and making them perform on par with some of the finest home audio speakers.

There are a few very knowledgeable Altec guys here who are wonderful at answering specific questions you may have. Do a little research and let us know where you want to go with your build.

GeeDeeEmm

Thank you so very much for all of that information. I'll be doing a bunch of research and will report back. Thanks again.