PDA

View Full Version : Sir George Martin, Beatles producer, dies aged 90

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2016, 08:21 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/09/george-martin-producer-of-the-beatles-dies-aged-90

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccartney-on-george-martin-he-was-like-a-second-father-to-me-20160309

from the web:
Toward the end of Martin's life, Connolly wrote a radio play, Sorry, Boys, You've Failed the Audition – which aired on the BBC – that imagined what would have happened to the Beatles if Martin had turned them down. Connolly sent him a copy of the show "in case he had missed it."

"I got a very sad letter back saying, 'Dear Ray, thank you so much for sending the recording, but unfortunately, I'm stone deaf now and I can't hear a word of it,'" shares Connolly. "Fortunately, Judy, his wife, had lip read it out to him and he knew what he had said in my play. George couldn't hear it, which I found really upsetting."

hsosdrum
03-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Several years ago I heard about Martin's deafness, and the sad irony of it was almost too much for this life-long Beatle (and therefore, Martin) fan to bear. RIP, Sir George.

Krunchy
03-09-2016, 07:14 PM
I thought I saw something on tv about the Beatles as I was running out the door. A world without the Beatles would be quite different I would think. I still have a couple of friends who don't like them, they probably have not sat down & really listened to the vast amount of material they created.
Great photo, Paul is so young, glad he's still around.

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Paul is going to be here in April on his "1 on 1" tour.

I saw a documentary (The LOVE DVD ?) that featured a lot on George and his son.
Wow, speak of the brains behind the brawn/beauty :applaud:

The lowest rated of the Beatles albums is the one that Phil Spector produced. Don't know if the Fab Four would have progressed beyond the 1965 sound w/o GM's guidance. :dont-know:

Krunchy
03-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Where did you see that Documentary and was that the name of it can, I cant seem to find much about it. Are you going to go see Paul, I am pretty fed up with large venues and I am sure that is what would be required for him.

Did not know that about Phil, oddly enough the Beatles & the "wall of sound" is how he is predominantly remembered/renowned for, besides his itchy trigger finger & penchant for having a gun on him seemingly all the time that is.

Ed Zeppeli
03-10-2016, 09:53 AM
It's called All Together Now. I can't seem to find a legit stream of it but it's available on Amazon.

SEAWOLF97
03-10-2016, 11:10 AM
It's called All Together Now. I can't seem to find a legit stream of it but it's available on Amazon.

I think that's it

. Are you going to go see Paul, I am pretty fed up with large venues and I am sure that is what would be required for him..

no, I don't do well in large crowds and usually LIVE shows don't impress me much

Did not know that about Phil, oddly enough the Beatles & the "wall of sound" is how he is predominantly remembered/renowned for, besides his itchy trigger finger & penchant for having a gun on him seemingly all the time that is.

yes, "Let it be" was poorly received (for a Beatles album) , hence the re-release ... minus the Phil enhancements , as "Let it be ..Naked"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be..._Naked

Let It Be... Naked is a 2003 album by the English rock group the Beatles. It is a remixed and remastered version of their 1970 album Let It Be. The project was initiated by Paul McCartney, who had always felt that Phil Spector's production did not represent the group's stripped-down, back to their roots intentions for the album.[1]
Let It Be... Naked presents the songs "naked" – without Spector's overdubs and without the incidental studio chatter featured between most cuts of the original album.

Krunchy
03-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks Ed, yeah its only available on dvd.

yes, "Let it be" was poorly received (for a Beatles album) , hence the re-release ... minus the Phil enhancements , as "Let it be ..Naked"

Thank you Seawolf, I'll check it out, a used copy from zon will suffice, kinda curious as to what it will sound like.

SEAWOLF97
07-13-2018, 07:06 AM

SEAWOLF97
08-19-2018, 11:14 AM
New biography claims George Martin was “frozen out” when The Beatles recorded ‘The White Album’

https://www.nme.com/news/music/new-biography-claims-george-martin-frozen-beatles-recorded-white-album-2368552