PDA

View Full Version : How popular were these?

russel1972
03-08-2016, 11:28 AM
This is a general question only. Not looking to buy or sell anything.
I own both 4301WX and L100T speakers and neither seem to be overly popular when I do searches.

When I first bought the 4301s, I was not impressed at all! They were being compared to a pair of Angstrom Image speakers that I got for free when I purchased a Kenwood KA-3500 and a KT-60 tuner. I found the JBLs extremely harsh and fatiguing. Couldn't listened to them more then 5 minutes at a time. They had been re-foamed so that wasn't the issue. With the Kenwood, absolutely no synergy. Then I connected them to my Akai AM 2850 integrated. A bit better, but not much.

I kept alternating between the speakers and very slowly I started to notice that they were sounding better. Still don't know if the speakers changed or if I became accustomed to the sound. Now when I listen the the Angstroms, they sound "veiled". I am really liking the JBLs especially with acoustic instruments.

Lately, I found a pair of L100t speakers for sale. Did some research and saw that they had the .035Ti Tweeter. I assumed that they would be very harsh but thought I might take a chance anyway. Figured that if I didn't like them, I could sell them or at the very least part them out and make a profit. Picked them up and bought the surrounds from Rick Cobb and installed them.

WOW! What a pleasant surprise! No break in needed. No having to get used to the sound. No harshness. Still sound very good with acoustic music. Playing the TV through these, cd player and music through cable. All with a Marantz PM 6004.

Live in a condo so high volume is not going to happen. Not looking for more power. Probably don't used more than 1 or 2 watts. Luckily, I am divorced because I can't see too many people liking the looks of these in a room. Anytime I think I should get something smaller, I close my eyes and my mind is changed.

General ramblings but amazing how I am liking both sets of speakers even if they may end up being some of JBLs less popular offerings.

Just my $.02 cents worth. Everybody have a good day.:D

Wagner
03-08-2016, 12:06 PM
This is a general question only. Not looking to buy or sell anything.
I own both 4301WX and L100T speakers and neither seem to be overly popular when I do searches.
Both are very good speakers, but from different "eras"

The L100T is well regarded, as is the next incarnation in line the L100t3, so search some more; has more than a few smaller and quite capable siblings as well, all employing the loved by more than a few "035Ti" 1" Titanium dome tweeter. Buy a couple pairs of L20Ts and you've got the makings of a kick ass well integrated home theater rig as well (if that's your bag) for little money
Built from around '85 to '87 or so I think, give or take

The 4301 was a late '70s design compact monitor targeted primarily for use in the broadcast control room or edit booth, built at the tale end of the pulp cone tweeter years

They also made a version of the 4301 with an on board amplifier I believe

Good speakers buddy, enjoy! :)

Thomas Wagner

Chris Brown
03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm not familiar with the 4301WX but they look similar to the L26. I'm not really a fan of that line, especially the paper cone tweeters, but there are plenty who are.

The L100T is plenty popular. I own a set myself. They also came out with the L100T3 which uses the same driver but a slightly modified crossover. I just had my crossover modified to T3 specs, should bring down the brightness and "harshness" that people sometimes associate with the L100T. Although you said that you don't like it loud, that 2214H woofer in the L100T is a pretty amazing woofer, and it handles power better than any of the other JBLs that I have.