PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken 1400 Array in room RTA measurements?

jpw
02-28-2016, 09:11 PM
If you have taken any RTA 1/3 octave in room measurements of your 1000 or 1400 Array speakers, please describe the general shape of the curve, if you do not have an actual photo of the readout. Also what size and shape was the room they were measured in, and roughly where were the speakers located regarding distance from the side and rear walls?

I would like to compare them with my upcoming measurements in a new listening room I am trying to quantify.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2016, 09:34 PM
I haven't, but some in-room plots were posted in Stereophile.

Widget

jpw
02-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Yes I have seen them before, but thanks for the reminder. I am getting a curve that look pretty similar to figure 4 showing that the speaker is balanced ripe below around 250-300hz. Mine are up by around 4db below these frequencies but at least the response is pretty flat with minimal peaks and good 30hz extension. I also have the figure 4 mid range dip around the crossover frequency. This coupled with the extra bass energy explains why I find the speaker to be thick in the bass and warm and laid back sounding overall. A simple 3db cut with a bass tone control would probably help a lot if I had one. I tried changing the toe in angle to bring the mid range up with out significant result. Figure 5's lateral response graph shows me why. Their response is remarkably similar within 15 degrees.

youngho
03-03-2016, 05:34 AM
I have multiple measurements taken with REW on- and increasingly off-axis at a short distance from the midrange horn, as well as listening position ones. I had used 1/24 octave smoothing, however. Here are some pictures of my setup, though I have subsequently moved the speakers out significantly from the wall: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=18374

I would describe some of the early measurement curves as generally sloping downward from the bass region to about 1 kHz, perhaps 6-7 db slope or so, then rising more slowly overall ~3 dB from 1-20 kHz. I seem to remember less treble rise moving off-axis, and I think I got the smoothest response around estimated 15-30 degrees off-axis or so.

Young-Ho

jpw
03-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Young-Ho. The general shape of the curve you describe is similar to what I have measured. It's a good sounding speaker the way it is, but not very accurate in tonal balance. I will be trying the 1400 Array next with McIntosh MEN-220 room correction. I have trained myself over 40 plus years of listening to actually like very flat response. I only require departure in the form of a gentle roll off a high frequencies based on the room acoustics and driver radiation patterns.

youngho
03-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Well, I originally had the speakers too close to the front wall, which exaggerated the response below 1 kHz. Here is a REW measurement of one speaker with 1/24 octave smoothing taken about 50 cm from the edge of the midrange horn.

Young-Ho

youngho
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Here are two more measurements taken from the listening position with one speaker toed-in significantly and pulled out 15" and then 19" from the front wall.

Young-Ho

jpw
03-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the graphs......

youngho
03-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Just for comparison purposes, here is a similar measurement at the listening position of one Gradient Helsinki 1.5 positioned right next to the 1400, also toed-in before the listening position. This might give a sense of some of the room effects.

Young-Ho