11-24-2004, 11:22 AM
I have a question about my l-110's. These we originally purchased, by me, in

boputnam
11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Dood... You're breaking up... :rotfl:

Try again. We can hear you now...

breadman
11-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Not sure what happened but let me try again. I purchased a set of l-110's in 1980 and they have been great speakers with the exception of requiring a re-cone job. Factory parts of course. From posts in this fourm and the Instruction Manuals I have the 110's not the 110a's.

The question is about replacing the capacitors in the xover network. As they are 25 years old and I beleive dielectric it seems they should be dried out by now. However, the speakers still sound great and running the DVI DVD they respond well in the 20-22khz tests. Should I replace the caps or leave well enough alone?
What would be an indication that they need to be replaced? Should I just replace them one for one with polypropylene or polystyrene caps or change the xover to the 110a setup?

boputnam
11-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Breadman...

First, welcome! :wave:

Looks like you've done some research before posting - nice! Until you get a specific reply from Giskard or EarlK - amongst many others who know about such things - you might try the Search and then Advanced Search" and specify posts by either member, specific to your query. Giskard, for one, has posted much on cap types and brands...

breadman
11-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome. This is a great fourm. I can't beleive that I can find the xover shematics after almost 25 years. I'll check out the posts that you recommend. I do have follow up questions.
If I decide to change the caps should I just repace the current caps with polypropylene or polystyrene caps? Or change to the 110a schematic with the added bypass caps?

Earl K
11-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Hi Breadman / Bo

If I remember correct, the N110a network is one of Giskards' favourites, a milestone in the design evolution of JBLs' networks.

( Really I can't remember all this correctly since my "notes" are stored on a very fragmented bio-based hard-drive , so I'll just defer this question to later, if its' not answered soon. )

Giskard has heard these networks as "they" and the relevant speaker model evolved - I haven't - I just like to study them over morning coffee .

<> Earl K

Yea-Yea, I know, I'm no help at all ! :D

- Seriously, my thing is more about the bigger components , massive woofers, horns and horn-drivers. As such, I figure their networks/voicings quite likely need a slightly different approach when stuffing/shoehorning these monsters into a living-room.

By all means, "Bypassing" the stock mylars with Polypropylenes and Polystyrenes is where I would start spending money in the search for more and better resolution . Use the suggested values; .01uf for the Film & Foil Polypropylenes and .005uf for the Film & Foil Polystyrenes. Moving away from those values may not be a rewarding road to travel down unless you like changing the "voicing" of your speakers on a weekly basis .

I happen to like Charge-Coupled ™ polyproyplene networks with all of the above bypass options - if one can afford it . The problem is : I don't know what base-cap PolyP(s) will work best with those L110 components .

Zilch
11-24-2004, 06:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5734287601&rd=1