PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 crossover rebuild...what gauge wire?

mpent
02-24-2016, 11:03 AM
I am rebuilding my crossovers and am wondering what gauge wire to use for crossover to driver connections? Also, what gauge wire for the ground mod? Thank you.

Michael

gdmoore28
02-24-2016, 12:30 PM
I searched high and low for an answer to the question of wire guage/strands/solid for use in crossovers, but I've been unable to find any solid recommendations. I'm a newbie at crossover building, so I'm quite interested in the responses you get. The thing that has always puzzled me is the use of large (numerically small) connecting wire gauges compared to the size of conductors used in the typical resistor or capacitor. In your case, though, you would surely be safe in using whatever wire configuration was used by the Altec factory.

GeeDeeEmm

mpent
02-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks...yeah, unfortunately the only skill I have is the ability to solder. When it comes to reading schematics, determining values, wire gauges etc...I have no idea. If someone can recommend a wire gauge or advise me what gauge is used in the original crossover I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Michael

grumpy
02-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Would recommend using wire that comfortably fits in the driver's connector hole.
If using spade lugs, no smaller than 20ga (up to 16ga on woofer) and use a -good- crimping tool,
and lugs that are specified for your wire gage of choice. If you have the stock wires, use them as
a guide for what's reasonable.

gdmoore28
02-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Was just wondering, Michael, is there some reason you need to replace the wires themselves? Are they corroded? If there is no corrosion, I would simply re-use the wires that the factory used. If they are corroded, then go to your auto parts or electrical supply dealer and replicate the gauge and colors that the factory used. When it comes to the caps and resistors, even newbies like us can replace them with identically rated components. Of course, you will need to use DeOxit on the L-pads (or did Altec use potentiometers in the Model 19? Can't remember.)

By the way, before you rebuild, be sure to read the threads on the development of the Z-19 crossover mods. There are mods that will dramatically tailor the horn's response for a much more linear curve. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?18913-Altec-9844-8B Also do an "images" search for "Z19 Crossover" and latch onto some of the build threads there. There's a lot more potential locked inside the Model 19.

GeeDeeEmm

mpent
02-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'm not looking to rewire the crossover per say. I have a pair of stock crossovers that I will leave original and I have a second pair of stock crossovers that I will replace the components on. However, this second pair does not have the wiring from the crossover board to the drivers. Instead of desoldering these wires on the stock boards I was going to just add a pair to the second crossovers. Also, I want to perform the ground modification which requires wiring from ground lugs 1-2-3-4. Otherwise, the original wires will remain.

I've thought about the Z19 and perhaps will build one in the future.