PDA

View Full Version : Hello new here with a grill repair question

steve-d
02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Hi, Nice to be here.

I just obtained a very nice pair of 120 Ti speakers.

They have the grill with the pegs molded into a surround on the grill. Apparently, the company thought it a good idea to use the surround to staple the grill cloth and situate the pegs at the same time.

Unfortunately, a couple of pegs are broken. I haven't found a way to replace the pegs. The ones you see at shops and on Ebay, are designed to replace the peg type where the peg is installed in the cabinet and the receiver in the grill.

Anyone else been there and figured out a way to get them in usable shape? I like to use them for many reasons, and won't really consider to 'just leave them off' as a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

svollmer
02-17-2016, 05:47 AM
Hello,

I used to have a pair of 240Ti's, but it's been a while. I've repaired the pegs that protrude from the T (L100T) series grills by drilling out the broken off piece out of the frame and replacing it with a dowel rod glued in with super glue. I highly recommend doing this with a drill press so you can clamp the grill in the exact location for the drill bit to clear the hole out. If possible, sand it flush first and center punch it so the drill bit doesn't want to "walk" off center. A Dremel tool is helpful.

After doing that, I cut replacement pegs of the diameter to fit the hole in the grill to the proper length. I inserted each peg into the drill press and held sandpaper on it while it turned to "mill" the ends to the right diameter to fit into the receptacle in the speaker. Paint them black and glue them into the grill frame and they'll work nice.

I just don't recall what the receptacles on the Ti series were. If they are the rubber type that squeezes around the peg, you should be fine.

Wagner
02-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Hi, Nice to be here.

I just obtained a very nice pair of 120 Ti speakers.

They have the grill with the pegs molded into a surround on the grill. Apparently, the company thought it a good idea to use the surround to staple the grill cloth and situate the pegs at the same time.

Unfortunately, a couple of pegs are broken. I haven't found a way to replace the pegs. The ones you see at shops and on Ebay, are designed to replace the peg type where the peg is installed in the cabinet and the receiver in the grill.

Anyone else been there and figured out a way to get them in usable shape? I like to use them for many reasons, and won't really consider to 'just leave them off' as a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Do you still have all of the broken off pegs?