PDA

View Full Version : Stephens Tru-Sonic

pelly3s
11-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where to get aftermarket parts for Stephens speakers. I have a concentric 15" and I am working on trying to get another. If I can get the second I want to recone them and put new dias in. Any info would be great

GordonW
11-23-2004, 11:17 PM
It'll probably have to be custom-fit. I'll check, but I don't think there's any "spec'd out" aftermarket kits for Stephens drivers.

However, if the original parts are still present in one of the speakers (doesn't have to work, it all just has to be THERE, relatively intact), then I can probably use that as a guide, and build up a cone kit parts list from there. May take slight modification of some existing aftermarket parts (I've had to do stuff like trim voice coil openings in cones, modify whizzer cones and spiders, add cone treatment, change surrounds, etc) to make it functionally equivalent, but it usually can be done.

Regards,
Gordon.

pelly3s
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
i was looking to avoid assembling the kit, i have a stock of over 5000 speaker parts right now. none of us at the shop have a clue about these speakers. i guess i could find a jbl or altec kit that will fit, or have one of my suppliers custom wind coils for me. thanks for the response though. it looks like a tough battle for the one i am bidding on right now.

Steve Schell
11-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Parts are nearly impossible to find for Stephens speakers. This is a shame, as they were built very well and there are many of them still out there. The high frequency diaphragm in the coaxial was spun aluminum, and the only source of replacement as far as I know would be from another similar driver. Stephens voice coil diameters, I have been told, are slightly nonstandard in size and will have to be custom wound. Sam Saye has made these in the past; I'm not sure if he still has any or is willing to make them. He can be reached through his web site at http://www.coilguru.com.

pelly3s
11-25-2004, 09:57 AM
I just looked at the site and he still has stevens coils listed. my only fear is that I wont be able to find a diaphragm for it. i have a huge selection at work but i dont know if any will fit. i guess i have to start trying to make things work and maybe i'll find some NOS parts somewhere.