PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 horn question

Jason Jester
02-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Good Evening: My Brother passed and his daughter gave me to watch over his model 19's which I have always loved. I had an idiot at the house who pinned a volume knob intoxicated one evening and I blew the horn/driver on one of them. My brother bought them brand new and they still have the tags hanging from the crossover knobs (I have kept them as nice as he would have all but the foam all dry rotted which I will ask about later) My question is does anyone know of a trustworthy repair company near Chicago or preferably the NW Burbs that can repair it without hopefully making me take out a loan? Helppppppp would be greatly appreciated. Also the foam around the horn?

quindecima
02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Great Plains Audio

speakerdave
02-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Solving this problem may end up not being as simple as one might wish. In short, it may be necessary, for one reason or another to replace the diaphragms in both treble drivers. Over time the response can change and a new one may not match. Also, there was a special light weight diaphragm used for a time in the Model 19 with 802-8g compression drivers (and the 604-8g). It's not available any longer. The replacements that are available will work perfectly well, but probably would not be a sonic match. Here's a thread at the Altec user's site that will be a good backgrounder for you: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/54116-altec-802-8g-model-19-a/index2.html.

It might be a good idea for you to sign in over there. They are deeper into Altec, and I know there are some Chicago guys who might be able to point you to competent and caring local help. Otherwise, as noted above, GPA may be the best resource.

script56
02-10-2016, 06:24 AM
That Altec host board site is dead as hell. Old 2007 posts.

script56
02-10-2016, 06:25 AM
If you for some reason need both diaphragms replaced I have two and can preform repairs.

gdmoore28
02-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Jason, I'm assuming from your post that you are not intimately familiar with the inner workings of your Model Nineteens, so it may be helpful to give you a little more information on your quest for a repair.

The high frequency sounds produced by your "tweeters" (called "horns") are produced by a cylindrical object (called a "driver") that is bolted to the back of the horn. Inside the driver is an aluminum part (called a "diaphragm") that your inebriated friend destroyed. The repair to your speaker involves simply replacing the diaphragm with a new one.

When Altec ceased production of their heritage speaker systems and components, the machines were purchased by former employees who now offer Altec parts and components made on those original machines. The company is called Great Plains Audio (http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/), and the part number needed for your Model Nineteen repair is #34647. The cost is approximately $90 each, plus shipping. (Just a note: you will find on ebay a number of replacement diaphragms that are priced up to 70% cheaper than the GPA items. Do not buy them. These imported diaphragms perform very poorly and will not offer the same quality of sound as the GPA items.)

With a little care and familiarization with the process, the average guy with a modicum of mechanical abilities can do this repair themselves. There are numbers of very good instructional videos on YouTube that will walk you through the process, along with tutorials on this and other audio-centered forums. It is not a difficult process.

There are still sources for the foam that surrounds the horn in your Nineteens. For example, here's a thread on that very subject: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/176609-model-19-foams.html?highlight=model+19%2C+foam

It's sad to hear of your brother's passing, and I'm sure that the speakers will be a cause of warm remembrance. It's good to hear that the Nineteens are in the care of somebody who has a special connection to them. Working on these classic speakers is fun and rewarding, and will increase your appreciation for them. Don't be intimidated about doing the repairs yourself. We'll be happy to offer any more help that you will need.

GeeDeeEmm

speakerdave
02-10-2016, 11:09 AM

Hmm. It does look rather moribund. It's been very slow for quite a while, but I see now there have been no posts for three days. However, the above seriously overstates the case. I wonder why.

Audiokarma, audio asylum and diyaudio forums may also prove helpful. Former denizens of Altec Users go to them.

The thread I linked will arm you with the knowledge you need to work your way through this process. One more thing: In general it is pointless to buy used diaphragms when the genuine article is available new. Great Plains Audio is your reliable source for Altec repairs and parts.

gdmoore28
02-10-2016, 11:27 AM

There have been some server issues recently. Maintenance was done in the last week or so, but it's possible that more problems have popped up. It's not unusual to see zero activity there for a few days at a time. It's a super nice group of experienced Altec guys there. They will go out of their way to help. The board is just not very active.

GeeDeeEmm

gdmoore28
02-10-2016, 11:31 AM
If you for some reason need both diaphragms replaced I have two and can preform repairs.

Which diaphragms do you have on hand? New or used? GPA or Altec? 8 ohm? Price? I may be interested.

GeeDeeEmm

script56
02-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I have a pair of original genuine 19 diaphragms. Ones with solder posts.