PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Altec Model 9 and Altec Model 9 series ll

jamiecantar
02-02-2016, 08:56 AM
New here and fan of both Altec and JBL's.

I'm a big fan of 3-way design and interested in a pair of Altec model 9's, but does anyone know the difference between the first Series and the Series ll model?

On the series ll models, the woofer basket are now cast aluminum as the first series has stamped steel basket and the cabinet has a plastic port tube with logo on it... other than those two things was there any other differences? Is the crossover the same? Which version sounded better in your opinion? The first series or the series ll?

or are the two way design of the Santana ll's, Model 14's or 15's better. They have the same Woofers in all 4 models...#34633

hope you can help

DavidF
02-02-2016, 10:42 AM
I am no expert but it was my understanding that the Model Nine always had the cast aluminum woofer frame. This cast frame, a different tweeter and a larger enclosure separated the Nine from the Model Seven which (along with the Five) used a stamped steel woofer frame.

jamiecantar
02-03-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm not totally sure myself but, I think the first series had the steel basket woofers like in the top photo then in 1977 they introduced the new cast aluminum basket and so they renamed it the series ll. what i don't know is if they changed the tweeter and crossover design? and what's the difference in sound between the two series. i've heard the series ll but not the series one.

These Altec Model 9's are great if your into percussion. If your into rock, funk, reggae, hip hop. These produce great low end and mid range frequencies...