PDA

View Full Version : L5 valuation

Cozmo
01-26-2016, 08:54 PM
I've happened upon a pair of L5's within a 2.5 hour drive. Is there a specific section of the site in which one should be asking about fair market values?

Triumph Don
01-26-2016, 09:05 PM
As always, depends on condition. I paid $300 for a near mint pair 3 months ago, some here have paid less, some a little more, IMO a great speaker for that kind of money!

gasfan
01-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Probably the marketplace forum, however I did sell a pair for 500 a year ago. But they were in like new condition. I do think that was fair for the L5s.

BMWCCA
01-26-2016, 09:17 PM
I paid $200 for mine maybe ten-years ago and drove to Boston to get them. Well, I was dropping my daughter off at college a couple of hours away anyway . . .

A few years later, I saw another pair with a receiver and a CD player on Boston Craig's List for $150 and told my brother-in-law there to go get them and I'd buy them from him for that price and let him keep the electronics. He picked them up but won't let me have them, even years later—and he's not normally interested in hi-fi.

Value? They give any of my other JBLs a run for the money up to and including the L80T/3, L96, L112, and 4412A. That means they're playing in the range of speakers that generally sell for $500 and more. I doubt I'd part with mine for much less than that, unless I was in dire straights.

I have yet to compare them to the LSR305s. That might prove interesting. :hmm:

Cozmo
01-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Ah, didn't see the market place forum. I guess it doesn't appear until after you've logged in.

This pair is a little scuffed and has some "moving marks on the grills", what ever that means.

And it appears that the bases are absent as well. I could always make some if I really wanted them.

audiomagnate
01-26-2016, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't want them in that condition but if you want them I think around $200 would be a fair offer.

Cozmo
01-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I paid $200 for mine maybe ten-years ago and drove to Boston to get them.

What condition were yours in may I ask?

BMWCCA
01-27-2016, 07:16 PM
What condition were yours in may I ask?

Perfect, with bases, since you asked.
What others pay should be of little consideration if you're really interested in chasing sound quality. What are they worth to you? Have you even heard them? Are you buying them to enjoy, or to flip?

People, like me, will always tell you the low price they paid. If others pay more, they won't say or, more likely, they won't be on this site!
But if you really want something, what difference does a couple dollars make? I buy these so I can judge their worth to me. Then I end up keeping them anyway. Someday I want to look down from above at the estate sale in my small house and see others scratching their heads over where all that crap came from!

Cozmo
01-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Well,...like most, I like to think that I either got a good deal on a piece or at least paid a fair price.
Aye. The Scottish "thrifty gene" is strong in me blood line there laddie.:yes:

However, since I'm now treading in JBL territory, perhaps I should consider ignoring my penny pinching heritage. Like I mentioned, these popped up semi-locally and since I'd already read about how fine they are, thought I would see if I could acquire them. It seems that the asking price is a bit high considering their condition. I wasn't looking at flipping them. And no, I have not heard them.

SEAWOLF97
01-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Amazing JBL L5 speakers - $200 (SE Portland)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/5421071875.html

BMWCCA
01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Amazing JBL L5 speakers - $200 (SE Portland)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/5421071875.html
A good deal for anyone local. Plus, seldom is a Craig's List asking price non-negotiable. Missing the bases but that's not a big deal.