PDA

View Full Version : My revamped JBL PRO theater

JuniorJBL
01-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Hey LHF,

Just a few quick photos of the theater project that I finally got off of my butt and got going.

It's all JBL pro gear and Crown DCi power.

Floor is raised enough for conduit runs so all speaker wire is ran under and only speakers are in the theater. Power is in the next room.

My OPPO 103D is piped directly into the 2 DCi 8|600N's.

Currently running an Epson 5020 and hoping to find a nice Sony 4K projector next year or so. I really want to up-convert all of my shows to 2.35:1.

Anyways here are some pictures.

JuniorJBL
01-25-2016, 10:28 PM
It still needs some tweeking but at least we can watch some great movies without the hassle of the theater. :)

Sorry about the twisted rack shot. No matter what way I turn it in the editor it still posts sideways.

grumpy
01-25-2016, 11:29 PM
If you ever play the cannon fodder scene from Master and Commander, remind me to bring my big boy diapers! Looks like it's coming along great!

Ed Zeppeli
01-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Well now, that's a helluva set-up.

Looks like you had your wiring work cut out for you!

baldrick
01-26-2016, 12:47 AM
Very similiar setup as mine, except I'm runing 4x4645 instead of those GTIs :bouncy:

I feel the 4645 lack a tiny bit in the very bottom even though I've retuned the boxes to aprox 20hz, do W15GTI work better below 30hz thatn 4645?

Have you considered lowering the main speakers? The mid seem a bit high on the wall.

I would love to have those Crown DCi 8|600N's, they really looks like the perfect ampsolution for an active hometheather setup.

wrager
01-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Looks really impressive! I recently re-constructed my space to add subs on each side and build a baffle wall for the front stage. I am running active bi-amp with Crown DSi amps. This week I will be adding 4 ceiling speakers for an Atmos upgrade.

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Well now, that's a helluva set-up.

Looks like you had your wiring work cut out for you!

It wasn't that bad, just keep them labeled and have a map!! :)

I am also an electrician so I am used to it. ;)

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Very similiar setup as mine, except I'm runing 4x4645 instead of those GTIs :bouncy:

I feel the 4645 lack a tiny bit in the very bottom even though I've retuned the boxes to aprox 20hz, do W15GTI work better below 30hz thatn 4645?

Have you considered lowering the main speakers? The mid seem a bit high on the wall.

I would love to have those Crown DCi 8|600N's, they really looks like the perfect ampsolution for an active hometheather setup.

Yes the W15GTi's add that bottom and the 2242's give the impact and they do it well together. :applaud:

I don't really have the option to lower the mains but they have a slight tilt downwards and the room is so small that you really can't miss the horns! :D

The L C R all have TruExtent Be diaphragms in them as well. 6 2226's really do the theater justice for that clarity that the small centers just can't do.

The DCi's are quite fantastic for this purpose that's for sure!

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Looks really impressive! I recently re-constructed my space to add subs on each side and build a baffle wall for the front stage. I am running active bi-amp with Crown DSi amps. This week I will be adding 4 ceiling speakers for an Atmos upgrade.

Yes I have seen your theater in your other thread and really like the waveguides.

We are currently remodeling our basement and during that time I will be adding 4 JBL Control 226C's to the setup as well as a DSi 2|1250N.

I too insulated the crap out of the front wall behind and on the baffle wall with sound deadening board and an insulation called Quite R for duct work. It is super quite without any resonance at all.

The family really enjoys this setup as well. WAY better than the movie theater and sticky floors and bad popcorn! :)

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 08:08 AM
If you ever play the cannon fodder scene from Master and Commander, remind me to bring my big boy diapers! Looks like it's coming along great!

G and I watched Transformers "Dark of the Moon" this weekend and sound effects will really blast right through you!! It's quite the experience VS the theater my family and I went to with butt kickers. That was lame in comparison!! :D

srm51555
01-26-2016, 09:16 AM
My OPPO 103D is piped directly into the 2 DCi 8|600N's.

Awesome setup, I imaging your neighbors love it too. Out of curiosity, may I ask what you are using for a volume control? I was planning on using a EC-V on another project using a DCi and want to know what others are doing.

Thanks,
Scott

baldrick
01-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Yes the W15GTi's add that bottom and the 2242's give the impact and they do it well together. :applaud:

I don't really have the option to lower the mains but they have a slight tilt downwards and the room is so small that you really can't miss the horns! :D

The L C R all have TruExtent Be diaphragms in them as well. 6 2226's really do the theater justice for that clarity that the small centers just can't do.

The DCi's are quite fantastic for this purpose that's for sure!

I use 3x2447BE and used to have 6x2226, now I've replaced the dual 2226 with single 2216ND :)

I've also considerd adding W15GTI but will probably end up with 4x2269H instead :bouncy:

You have something too look forward to regarding Atmos, it's a lot of fun!! I use 8x8340 as surround and Atmos.

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Awesome setup, I imaging your neighbors love it too. Out of curiosity, may I ask what you are using for a volume control? I was planning on using a EC-V on another project using a DCi and want to know what others are doing.

Thanks,
Scott

The OPPO has volume. One of the reasons I chose it. It also has a great iOS/Android app so the player does not need to be in the same room if you have a wireless network. :)

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 10:00 AM
I use 3x2447BE and used to have 6x2226, now I've replaced the dual 2226 with single 2216ND :)

I've also considerd adding W15GTI but will probably end up with 4x2269H instead :bouncy:

You have something too look forward to regarding Atmos, it's a lot of fun!! I use 8x8340 as surround and Atmos.

That sounds pretty awesome. The 6 8340a's in mine do a really nice job so I figure just the added Control ceiling speakers should fill it in nicely.

I just used the W15GTi's because around here they go really cheap on CL like $400 or less a pair for MKII's! Another forum member sold me a second pair for a really great deal as well so when I add the second pair to the rear that should be all I will ever need. ;)

This entire speaker setup including the Be phrams was just at 4K and I have spares for everything. My last setup of B&W signature 800's was more than twice as much and does not even come close to sounding as good as this does.

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Here it was back then.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7456&d=1115914660

wrager
01-26-2016, 04:33 PM
This entire speaker setup including the Be phrams was just at 4K and I have spares for everything. My last setup of B&W signature 800's was more than twice as much and does not even come close to sounding as good as this does.

I love that quote!!!!

What CDs are you using? I use 2 x 2447h w/ the 2450-SL phragms and one 2450-SL. I really want to do the Be upgrade. Is it worth it? Some say yes, some say no. I had 2242s flanking the screen but I wasted them, oops. Now I have a combo of 2x EVX-180 and 2 x SI HT18's up front. Near field flanking the MLP I have a 2245 and an AE TD-18H+ (each in 8 cu ft cabs). Then for smoothing I have an IB in the rear wall, mid way up with 2 x MJ18s. They are all powered by a QSC 4050HD and a Crown XLS-5000.

For surrounds I am using 4 x JBL AC18/26 driven by a Crown CTs4200.

Tomorrow I begin the install of 4 Tannoy CVS6 (http://tannoy.com/NewsProductPop.aspx?q=55.64) in my ceiling along with a new Denon X5200. I hate the thought of rewiring my processor along with the MiniDSP-88a ( I know it won't control the ceiling speakers).

It's kind of crazy. The dedicated theater is in my sub basement (I have two basements). I am seeing my dry wall cracking 3 stories above the theater as well as the garage wall.

Isn't this fun!!!! What???:bouncy:

JuniorJBL
01-26-2016, 06:51 PM
I have a 2447 in the center and 2446's on the sides. I like the Be's but a good Aluminum would be fine with me as well. Especially in the theater where I really do not listen to music just movies.

I am using the limiting function of my DCi's for protection from over excursion on the subs so it really should not blow up any drivers.

Mine is plenty loud and the LF can be just a bit to much sometimes as well. But that is where having more than enough LF drivers makes not over-driving them easy and requires less power.

I am in the measurement/tweek stage so this could take some time! :hyp:

srm51555
01-28-2016, 09:24 AM
The OPPO has volume. One of the reasons I chose it. It also has a great iOS/Android app so the player does not need to be in the same room if you have a wireless network. :)

Thanks

I am using the limiting function of my DCi's for protection from over excursion on the subs so it really should not blow up any drivers.

I'd like to do the same thng. Was there any formula that you found to calculate the limits. I only remember the DCi Videos on youtube showing the limiter functions but that was it.

Thanks in advanced,
Scott

JuniorJBL
01-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks

I'd like to do the same thng. Was there any formula that you found to calculate the limits. I only remember the DCi Videos on youtube showing the limiter functions but that was it.

Thanks in advanced,
Scott

I really did not use any science at all. I just watched the meters and limited it by watching the output, although it is very similar to using a compressor/limiter with thermal limiting as a bonus. Pretty cool if you ask me.:)

Mctwins
01-29-2016, 01:03 AM
Thanks

Thanks in advanced,
Scott

Hallo!

Look at these links from Crown.

http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/856_1425410621/ITech_HD_LevelMax_Limiter_Readme_File_original.pdf

http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/857_1425410668/USP4_LevelMax_Limiter_Readme_File_original.pdf

or just use the settings from the M2 in your DCi

srm51555
01-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Hallo!

Look at these links from Crown.

http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/856_1425410621/ITech_HD_LevelMax_Limiter_Readme_File_original.pdf

http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elements/resources/857_1425410668/USP4_LevelMax_Limiter_Readme_File_original.pdf

or just use the settings from the M2 in your DCi

Thanks for the above links, good reading material for the weekend. I'll be using the setting form the M2, I didn't realize they already had the setting in the file.

Thanks,
Scott