PDA

View Full Version : WE/RCA/Altec/EV/Vitavox 12-Cell Horn Identification & Throat Compatibility

SanFrisco
01-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks in advance for any assistance and information you might provide.

I've recently acquired a vintage multicellular horn, but am unable to make a confident confirmation of model or manufacturer. I'm inclined to call it a 1203-B and call it a day... but I'd like to build a mono, two-way speaker around this component and therefore need to be able to reliably consider compatibility issues.

There's currently a similar "Very Rare 1940s Altec Tar-Filled Horn Model H-1203B" on Ebay, and I've had some exchange with the seller who has provided dimensions for the item available for auction. In addition to a few dimensional differences, the welded mounts on the sides of my horn are different in size/location, the joint between the throat mount and horn are different in appearance, and there is a difference in cell mouth construction between the two horns (his are smooth, mine have seams).

Dimensions are as follows:

+Ebay "H-1203B"+ (I cannot comment as to measurement accuracy)
Throat mount (exterior): 5" x 3 1/4"
Throat mount (interior): 3 1/4" x 1 5/16"
Horn width: 42 1/4"
Horn depth: 26 1/2"
Horn height: 16 3/8"

+Unidentified Horn+ (All measurements double-checked for accuracy)
Throat mount (exterior): 5" x 3"
Throat mount (interior): 3 5/8" x 1 1/8"
Horn width: 41 1/4"
Horn depth: 26 1/4"
Horn height: 16"

Photos of the unidentified horn attached.

In short, it would be helpful to know what I've got on my hands so I can hunt down an appropriate throat and driver! Age/era might be nice, too, just in case I want to be a stickler about historical accuracy...

SanFrisco
01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Detail from a Steve Schell post on the topic of "History Found" (Lansing Manufacturing Company sales literature, c. 1937) on the topic of throat mounting flange construction:

The 805 horn, undoubtedly the earliest version to bear this designation, is fascinating to examine closely. It is somewhat smaller than the later Altec tar filled and B series versions. There are other differences as well. In the Lansing version, the individual cells are terminated flush with the throat mounting flange, and are carefully filed to knife-like edges. The outer four cells are actually curved slightly near the throat to facilitate this arrangement. The throat adapter incorporates a 2-1/2", 16 thread-per-inch coupling, to mate with the model 284 and 285 drivers of the day.

SanFrisco
01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
I've received the following notice as part of an email exchange with a well-informed collector. Please note that the unidentified horn in question feels "rock hard" to the touch and tap, very likely not filled with loose sand or an other material.

I have no idea what you've got! But if a 30210 throat doesn't fit I would say it is not Altec.

I never even saw a 1203. But the tar filled Altecs I have owned did not
have the seam like yours does. Not to my recollection anyway.

When you start getting into early stuff though, such variations are
possible. If Altec, it would bolt up to Altec hardware though.

Does it seem rock hard when you tap on it or more softly damped? I had one
horn that looked almost like an Altec but I later learned that it was a
Ballantyne and it was sand filled. It was not as "solid" as an Altec.

Not sure I can come up with a quick answer for you. Sorry!