PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of abused 2441

johanwholst
01-23-2016, 04:39 AM
Dear all
I just acquired a pair of 2441 With 2350 horns. They have been used and abused over a long time, and last years stored in various conditions.
Apparently someone spilled beer into one of the horns, and it have leaked into the compression driver and covered it in a gooey mess. I disassembled the driver and cleaned out what I could. Diapragm of course destroyed. It also looks like the metal ring that forms the voice coil gap is slightly misaligned. Width of voice coil gap is uneven.
Do I need to demagnitize the driver to further disassemble and clean it, or could I just pry it off with brutal force? I live in Iceland, and there are no special speaker repair shops here as I know of. What kind of mechanical shop would have gear to magnetize and demagnitize?

1audiohack
01-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Hello Johan!

Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

If you pull the top plate off of your 2441 you will have to re-magnetize it for full strength. I have had some that had a simillar life to yours and washed them with wreckless abandon, tapped the top plate back to center with a soft face hammer and blasted them with an air nozzle until nothing else came out of the gap or anywhere else and finally dehydrated them in a warm oven overnight to get them good and dry.

They are running years later without issue.

I hope this didn't come too late to be if help.

All the best,
Barry.

johanwholst
01-25-2016, 03:38 AM
Thanks Barry!
I would love to get sound in them. I managed to pull the top plate off with brute force. Cleaned them properly, blasted it dry with air nozzle and reinstalled top plate. Hard to align It properly, but will try to bang it into place with shims and a rubber hammer. Brutal I know, but really no other options. Will look into places to remagnitize, but reckon it will be a hard find here in Iceland.
Fortunately I have a pair of 2446īs to test the 2350 horns. Im quite curious about those.

1audiohack
01-25-2016, 12:28 PM
At this point all you would have to do is swap one of the diaphragms out of a 2446 into a 2441 and see what you have. Worst case it will have lost efficiency, at least you will know if they need to go somwhere for a zap or if they are usable as is.

Barry.

Flodstroem
02-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Will look into places to remagnitize, but reckon it will be a hard find here in Iceland.
Fortunately I have a pair of 2446īs to test the 2350 horns. Im quite curious about those.

Johan, your mention your location is to be Iceland, but in your avatar it states "Norway"? Im just asking because in the future (could be soon) Im able to
re-magnetize all types of JBLś as long as the magnet are made of Alnico (also re-align top plates). Im living not far from Bergen just for your consideration........... ;)

johanwholst
02-19-2016, 02:21 AM
Johan, your mention your location is to be Iceland, but in your avatar it states "Norway"? Im just asking because in the future (could be soon) Im able to
re-magnetize all types of JBLś as long as the magnet are made of Alnico (also re-align top plates). Im living not far from Bergen just for your consideration........... ;)

Hi
I recently moved to Iceland but have not yet updated my profile. Excellent to know of your service. We have good friends in Bergen and will contact you next time we are on our way there.

Flodstroem
02-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Ok Johan, and I guess you are a Norwegian guy? You could communicate with me on your own language. ;)