PDA

View Full Version : My L-300's

300_Summit
01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Hello all, I am new to the forum. My father bought a set of L-300's back in 1975 (shortly before I was born). They didn't see a lot of use. He did a little DJ'ing but nothing major. For the last 30+ years, however, the 300's were just sitting in the basement, rotting away. For the last 5 years (at least) I'd been trying to persuade him into giving them to me. FINALLY, about 6 month's ago he gave in. I took them down to EDI in Peoria to have them refurbished. They did an excellent job. New 2235h kits, new l-pads, new bases, grill cloth etc. Luckily the 077 and le-85 phragms were in great working order, so those remain original. They sound AMAZING!!!! Just thought I'd share with some folks that I know can appreciate a fine peice of American history.

Ed Zeppeli
01-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Nice story but the pics aren't showing up for me.

300_Summit
01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Here's one more pic

300_Summit
01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Nice story but the pics aren't showing up for me.

I just reloaded the pics. They should show now

Ed Zeppeli
01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Ten - four!

Those cleaned up nice. :)

300_Summit
01-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Ten - four!

Those cleaned up nice. :)

Thanks. Yes, they really did. The guys at EDI did an EXCELLENT job. :)

gdmoore28
01-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Persistence finally paid off, eh? It's so good to see such fine speakers rescued from the abyss and brought back into service. It makes one's head spin to think of all the classic gear that is still sitting in peoples' garages and basements all over this country. Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

GeeDeeEmm

Challenger604
01-22-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm sure your dad is happy to see his speakers looking like new!
Have fun!

300_Summit
01-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Persistence finally paid off, eh? It's so good to see such fine speakers rescued from the abyss and brought back into service. It makes one's head spin to think of all the classic gear that is still sitting in peoples' garages and basements all over this country. Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

GeeDeeEmm

Yes, persistence finally did pay off :). Now I'm working on seeing if he'll part with his Mac MC2205, which pretty acting as a paper weight. A 90lbs paper weight, lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics and the story behind the speakers. Always glad to share with those that can really appreciate it

300_Summit
01-24-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm sure your dad is happy to see his speakers looking like new!
Have fun!

He was VERY pleased. While listening to them he had this prideful smile on his face. I was glad to be able to get'em back up to spec

mech986
01-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Nice restoration! I'm curious, why the need for new 2235 recones when it appears the only problem was bad surrounds on the 136A originals? Unless the woofers were played at volume with no surrounds (unlikely since you said they've pretty much been in storage for the last 30 years), there would be little or no damage to the voice coils. Of course, if there were something wrong with the spiders, that would require replacement.

Did you also have the LE85 and 077 diaphragms checked?

otherwise, they came out very nice, glad the veneers held up and weren't scratched up badly. Were the bases in need of rebuilding as many do? Happens with dampness in the floors.

Challenger604
01-25-2016, 08:22 AM
He was VERY pleased. While listening to them he had this prideful smile on his face. I was glad to be able to get'em back up to spec

Nice!
Good choice on the 2235!
C

300_Summit
01-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Nice restoration! I'm curious, why the need for new 2235 recones when it appears the only problem was bad surrounds on the 136A originals? Unless the woofers were played at volume with no surrounds (unlikely since you said they've pretty much been in storage for the last 30 years), there would be little or no damage to the voice coils. Of course, if there were something wrong with the spiders, that would require replacement.

Did you also have the LE85 and 077 diaphragms checked?

otherwise, they came out very nice, glad the veneers held up and weren't scratched up badly. Were the bases in need of rebuilding as many do? Happens with dampness in the floors.

I wanted the 2235h cone kits. IMO, it's much better than the 2231a/136a. As it turns out, when the 136 cones were taken out the basket and inspected, there was evidence of the voice coil rubbing against the magnet. Maybe a simple refoam would have been fine, but I wanted the the 2235 kits;).
As for the LE85 and 077 they were checked and all was fine with them. Those are original. I had to get new L-Pads.

The bases were shot. Those were rebuilt. The guy used solid wood and put plastic tabs on the corners so I can slide/move them easily. The bases came out great. Also had new grill fabric put on

mech986
01-25-2016, 10:12 AM
sounds good then, congrats on a clean restoration.

ivica
01-25-2016, 10:38 AM
I wanted the 2235h cone kits. IMO, it's much better than the 2231a/136a. As it turns out, when the 136 cones were taken out the basket and inspected, there was evidence of the voice coil rubbing against the magnet. Maybe a simple refoam would have been fine, but I wanted the the 2235 kits;).
As for the LE85 and 077 they were checked and all was fine with them. Those are original. I had to get new L-Pads.

The bases were shot. Those were rebuilt. The guy used solid wood and put plastic tabs on the corners so I can slide/move them easily. The bases came out great. Also had new grill fabric put on

Hi 300_Summit,

I have DIY 4333 speakers, and after 20 years bass drivers cone suspension had gone away, so had to be replaced......
After some time I had an opportunity to to use another drivers that had 2235 JBL re-coned...and on my experience I want to say I prefer 2231A sound more then 2235H... I would suggest You to re-foam 2231A then to re-cone it to 2235...,especially if over 100W power would be 'applied' to the driver.

regards
ivica

speakerdave
01-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Hi 300_Summit,

I have DIY 4333 speakers, and after 20 years bass drivers cone suspension had gone away, so had to be replaced......
After some time I had an opportunity to to use another drivers that had 2235 JBL re-coned...and on my experience I want to say I prefer 2231A sound more then 2235H... I would suggest You to re-foam 2231A then to re-cone it to 2235...,especially if over 100W power would be 'applied' to the driver.

regards
ivica

1+

I tried some 2235's in my 4333a's. Bass was more articulate, but to me they did not comport well with the hand off to the treble horn using the existing crossover. I was not set up to biamp at the time, which might have worked with a little EQ, so I used the refoamed 2231's. I should say I knew the history of the speakers, and they had lived in a very genteel environment, so the woofers were pristine except for the foam-to-dust.

Wagner
01-25-2016, 11:13 AM
I wanted the 2235h cone kits. IMO, it's much better than the 2231a/136a.
And that opinion is the only one that matters

Beautiful speakers, congratulations!

Why is he still hanging onto the amp? Does he have it hooked up to anything?

Thomas

Wagner
01-25-2016, 11:15 AM
I would suggest You to re-foam 2231A then to re-cone it to 2235...,especially if over 100W power would be 'applied' to the driver.
regards
ivica
That ship has sailed brother

300_Summit
01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
And that opinion is the only one that matters

Beautiful speakers, congratulations!

Why is he still hanging onto the amp? Does he have it hooked up to anything?

Thomas

He's still hanging on because he is a HOARDER, lol. If I asked, he'd probably give it to me. He's not doing anything with it, other than the fact that it is a 90 pound paper weight. I don't want to seem like a vulture though, lol. I'll give it a year or so, then I'll inquire about it :D

300_Summit
01-25-2016, 02:46 PM
sounds good then, congrats on a clean restoration.

Thanks mech986

300_Summit
01-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Hi 300_Summit,

regards
ivica

Like Wagner said, that ship has sailed. In addition, as I stated before, there was evidence that the voice coil was rubbing against the motor. They probably could have got salvaged, but I wasn't gonna take that chance. I was also lucky enough to get 2235h cone kits that were MADE IN AMERICA. The guy had them for about 8 yrs or so. I believe he said he ordered those back in '07 or '08. He was actually saving them in the event that he came across a set of L-300. He made me a very handsome offer, but I could NEVER sell'em. They'll always be my Dad's speaker's. Maybe one day (a long, long time from now, lol) I can pass them along to someone who can appreciate them and take care of them. I'm just watching over them right now.......a speaker sitter :D

Challenger604
01-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Like Wagner said, that ship has sailed. In addition, as I stated before, there was evidence that the voice coil was rubbing against the motor. They probably could have got salvaged, but I wasn't gonna take that chance. I was also lucky enough to get 2235h cone kits that were MADE IN AMERICA. The guy had them for about 8 yrs or so. I believe he said he ordered those back in '07 or '08. He was actually saving them in the event that he came across a set of L-300. He made me a very handsome offer, but I could NEVER sell'em. They'll always be my Dad's speaker's. Maybe one day (a long, long time from now, lol) I can pass them along to someone who can appreciate them and take care of them. I'm just watching over them right now.......a speaker sitter :D

LOL! You may give them to your kid!!

The 2235 is the best of the best woofer of JBL!!
Enjoy!
C

300_Summit
01-27-2016, 05:58 PM
I have a question about my LE-85's for those that are far more experienced and wiser than I. I've been reading different threads on compression driver dampening pads/foam and how they deteriorate over time. When my L-300's were refurbished the individual(s) doing the restoration didn't take the back caps off of the LE-85's. They did a DCR check, installed new L-Pads, and then powered them up. Because they sounded fine, that's as far as it went, no need to open them up. My 300's sound great; no shakes, rattles, or moans (Except from the house, when I crank them up :D) My question however, because they are 40 year old speakers, should I take a peek inside of the LE-85's and preemptively replace the foam pad, or should I wait if/when I need a diaphragm replacement and do it all at once? I'm kinda of the mind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but maybe someone else can enlighten/educate me on the matter?

Thanks

Wagner
01-27-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm kinda of the mind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but maybe someone else can enlighten/educate me on the matter?
Thanks
THAT'S the ticket

300_Summit
01-27-2016, 08:26 PM
THAT'S the ticket

LOL, ok thanks Wagner