PDA

View Full Version : Recone kit LE14C --- LE14A

alnico
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I have buy 2 recone kit NOS C8RL14CLF i know that they are for LE14C but i want to install it in my LE14A The DC resistance measure 5.2 ohm for the coil. I suppose that they are 8 ohm, can you assure me and does it have a problem to install it in my 2 LE14A . Visually they seemto be the same. :confused:

Thanks.

alnico
12-01-2004, 06:07 AM
help me please

Earl K
12-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi Alnico

(A)
- Please take some pictures of the cone-kit that clearly show the voice-coil and it's former .
-Also , carefullly measure the coil winding height. It should be about .6" or @ 15.25mm .

The DC measurement that you have posted for those kits more closely resembles the recommended Voice-Coil , DCR for the older mid 1970s' le14c coils.

Do your cone kits have darkgrey foam surrounds or the old "creamy-coloured" Lans-a-loy surrounds ?

(B) Repair shop info I have from 1976 indicates;

- a healthy le14a coil from that period would measure 5.7 to 6.8 ohms
while
- a healthy le14c coil should measure 4.6 to 5.4 ohms.

Obviously, the le14a and le14c use different voice-coils.

FWIW : by 1983/4 , the cone kits had changed .

A healthy le14a voice-coil had a DCR measurment of 5.9 to 7.1 ohms .
while
a healthy le14c voice-coil had a DCR measurement of 6.7 to 8.3 ohms .

In that time period; the le14c had a DCR measurement that was "higher" than the le14a coil.

PRESENTLY : 2004 , I don't have this info to offer .

CONCLUSION :

It looks like JBL has always had 2 different voice-coils for the le14a and the le14c. The le14c was not a "vented magnet" so engineering a different coil to maintain the same or a similar sound ( as the vented le14a) is as good an explanation as I can offer as to "WHY ?". While the le14c coil will "fit" into the le14a magnet - I wouldn't do it . I'd hold onto those kits and sell them to le14c owners when they wakeup to the fact that they need the proper cone-kit for their closedin magnets. In the meantime, -le14a(s) are cheap and plentiful on eBay. I'd recommend going that route, maybe even reconing what you have with the deeper-coiled le14h-1 cone-kit.

Since you're already in Quebec, look into having your speakers remagnetized at Belisle Acoustics / Transparence Canada (http://www.tr.ca/loudspeaker/services.htm)

regards <. Earl K

alnico
12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
tanks you

hector.murray
12-01-2004, 11:21 PM
We here on the Canadian border say "Thank you Earl!" I needed a good reconer in this area

Earl K
12-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi Hector

You're welcome ! but ,,,

- there might be a crossborder shipping/customs hassle that would need to be explored before you start committing components to border-crossings.
- I don't have the answers to offer up. Maybe someone else does ????

regards < Earl K

hector.murray
12-06-2004, 07:51 AM
I can drive there, so no shipping charges involved. As far as crossing goes, for something like that it's minimal. I have Family that work the customs house and also work in a customs brokerage firm, so if there is a way around the fee, I'll find out post haste. These folks are less than an hour away, so for me it's great good fortune!:D