PDA

View Full Version : Need L212 Cabinet Measurements

Zonker92
01-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Any lucky L212 owners here? I have an L212 project in mind, and I need the specific dimensions of the towers. Per this page:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1979-home/page6.jpg

I can see that the towers are 38 5/8" tall and (at the bases) 17" wide by 13" deep, but I do not know: (1) how thick (vertically) the pedestals (bottom "feet") are; (2) the dimensions of the upper boxes; (3) how wide and deep and tall the lower boxes are, above the point where they flair out; or (4) the dimensions of the upper grill covers. I would also like to see details of how the upper boxes fit into the lower ones.

Does anyone have any plans for the towers, or can they measure them for me? Also, how are the grills constructed?

Thanks!

speakerdave
01-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Are you planning on replicating the towers? I know where there may be some available. Tell us more about your project.

Any lucky L212 owners here? I have an L212 project in mind, and I need the specific dimensions of the towers. Per this page:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1979-home/page6.jpg

I can see that the towers are 38 5/8" tall and (at the bases) 17" wide by 13" deep, but I do not know: (1) how thick (vertically) the pedestals (bottom "feet") are; (2) the dimensions of the upper boxes; (3) how wide and deep and tall the lower boxes are, above the point where they flair out; or (4) the dimensions of the upper grill covers. I would also like to see details of how the upper boxes fit into the lower ones.

Does anyone have any plans for the towers, or can they measure them for me? Also, how are the grills constructed?

Thanks!

Zonker92
01-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Are you planning on replicating the towers? I know where there may be some available. Tell us more about your project.

Dave, thanks for replying. I am indeed thinking of replicating the towers, although I'm not sure whether I can source OEM drivers or perhaps improvise something else. But basically, yes, I would like to make duplicate the towers. I'm located in California.

rdgrimes
01-15-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm guessing you probably know that the pedestals are just fancy speaker stands. The speaker itself is a basic 8" 3-way with 70Hz tuning. The PT800 is virtually identical in concept but much better execution.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L212C%20ts.pdf

Zonker92
01-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Cool; thanks. Good to know about the system. And yes, I've seen how the upper enclosures are separate and lift off the pedestals. For aesthetic and nostalgic reasons I'd like to obtain or replicate the towers; I think they're gorgeous. Hence my interest in their exact dimensions. Much appreciated.

speakerdave
01-15-2016, 11:29 PM
I can fix you up with some towers. Send me a PM if interested.

Zonker92
01-15-2016, 11:35 PM
I can fix you up with some towers. Send me a PM if interested.

Dave, that's incredible. I'll PM you.