PDA

View Full Version : JBL L300 Summit owner

rbnjr
01-12-2016, 06:45 PM
I have recently acquired a pair of JBL L300 speaker boxes stripped of everything and am restoring the boxes at a shop as we speak. I will be needing everything the speaker came with as the owner has sold everything. so the exterior will shine, and as parts are needed i have a few questions. can i find a upgraded crossover for this monster? can i find the glass tops for it?
the drivers are for sale on eBay currently and im watching a few items now. The grills seem hard to find. so to summarize i am able to get the drivers but cannot find glass, upgraded crossovers and front grills. if anyone has idea's that might help me in my quest please reply.

cheers!

Mr. Widget
01-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Here is a link that covers the Glass Tops (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29609-L300-Glass-Replacement)

Here are two threads about L300 crossovers. One designed by Nelson Pass and one based on the original JBL design. Regarding the drivers, if you buy beautiful looking original L300 drivers you will pay top dollar. You might consider substituting technically identical but cosmetically slightly different JBL Pro versions of these drivers if you would like the best value.

Nelson Pass L300 Crossovers (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36417-L300-Summit-with-Nelson-Pass-crossover-mod-and-First-Watt-J2-Amp)

Charge Coupled Crossovers (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?166-4333-S300-L300-equivalent-bandbass-circuit)

Widget

audiomagnate
01-12-2016, 08:52 PM
I would just build Nelson Pass designed crossovers or have someone build you a pair. Finding grills could take decades. I've never seen a pair for sale. You have a huge amount of work ahead of you.

Challenger604
01-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I have recently acquired a pair of JBL L300 speaker boxes stripped of everything and am restoring the boxes at a shop as we speak. I will be needing everything the speaker came with as the owner has sold everything. so the exterior will shine, and as parts are needed i have a few questions. can i find a upgraded crossover for this monster? can i find the glass tops for it?
the drivers are for sale on eBay currently and im watching a few items now. The grills seem hard to find. so to summarize i am able to get the drivers but cannot find glass, upgraded crossovers and front grills. if anyone has idea's that might help me in my quest please reply.

cheers!

Hi there!
You can send a pm to tjm001 here around, he will be able to help you with all your questions. He just finished a beautiful pair of L300. He build it from scratch!
I would not use coupled crossover either...
Glasses are very easy to find at the glass store.
After research and patience, you will find the components. I know someone with top 2235H at very very reasonable price... That's what I would get in if I was you... But this is just me...

Don't be afraid! You will have fun!!
Cheers!
C

LarryM
01-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Greetings!
Nice to see someone wanting to build the L300, it will be fun. I have a pair of LE85 drivers, L92 long horns and L91 lens as the L300 requires. I purchased these myself in 1976, so I am the only owner and they are well cared for. They have not used in about 10 years. The only flaw in them is one of the L91 lens has a chip off the top corner on each side. They have never had any hard use, always been in a living room setting. Willing to sell at a reasonable price. Also have a pair of 2235H if interested. PM me for more information.
Happy building.

remusr
01-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Unless you are focused and frugal you may find cost of oem components exceeds that of a pair complete due to all the pieces required. A pair occasionally come up on EBay for $3k range or you may find a pair here if query. Building xovers is not cheap - there is a diy set on EBay now at $450 but do not appear oem quality. Just a warning to be patient, frugal and realistic. I have all the parts but my cost was way over the $3k - but transport to Canada and reconing was expensive! Good luck!
PS - search for a thread on building grilles, has been done here but forget who. I do not think it was Rick.

rbnjr
02-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Greetings!
Nice to see someone wanting to build the L300, it will be fun. I have a pair of LE85 drivers, L92 long horns and L91 lens as the L300 requires. I purchased these myself in 1976, so I am the only owner and they are well cared for. They have not used in about 10 years. The only flaw in them is one of the L91 lens has a chip off the top corner on each side. They have never had any hard use, always been in a living room setting. Willing to sell at a reasonable price. Also have a pair of 2235H if interested. PM me for more information.
Happy building.

if you still have the 2235h speakers im interested..