PDA

View Full Version : Little sisters at new year s eve

davidpou
01-02-2016, 07:26 AM
I found these 4425 in Aoste (they make ham) close to the Swiss border. The have been used in a TV production set up in Lyon and Have been replaced by PMC speakers.
Had them for 2/3 of the average price over here, 1000 €.

Does the 2409H would fit into them ?
Are the LSR708i far better in every departments (must be the case for the high freq obviously)? provided they are so much smaller ?

thanks

davidpou
01-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Someone could atleast have told me they were reversed in position ! I had to dig a 2005 post to find it stated in very few words...
for info they were also phase reversed as I forgot the JBL negative polarity... I came accross this 3 years ago but obviously didn't got it right ....
I am hearing them correcrly placed and plugged for the first time.... and I have them since a year :eek:

Mac , where are you ?

Doc Mark
01-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi, David,

WOW! Those look great together, and I'll bet they sound great, too!! How do they perform in the bass department? I've heard a couple of systems like that, which, to my ears, were a little shy on on deep bass response. I've also heard them with a good subwoofer, and like the bottom-end that the sub adds. Thanks for sharing your system, and I hope you get as much info as you want/need. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

davidpou
01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi, David,

WOW! Those look great together, and I'll bet they sound great, too!! How do they perform in the bass department? I've heard a couple of systems like that, which, to my ears, were a little shy on on deep bass response. I've also heard them with a good subwoofer, and like the bottom-end that the sub adds. Thanks for sharing your system, and I hope you get as much info as you want/need. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Hi Doc,
Well I live in Flat; they have been measured at 35Hz (30Hz for the one in the corner, before correction) at 0dB; and they have this big "umpf" of big speakers, so for my 35 square meters living room it s allright. The final plan might be to use them in audio/video as front for the 4430 and rear for the 4425. maybe when I will have a dedicated room cause for now my floor and furniture are moving along with the music... But i know I am a bass addict and an addict always wants more, doesnt 'he ?

By the way the 4425 are like brand new having been stored in a recordieng room with air conditionning and filtering... the soldering are shining like first days all the drivers test nice in impedance....

I was asking how do they compare or would compare to the new small studio monitors cause I have came across this thread saying:
“I have compared them to my 6332s which IMHO are very flat in my room. They are an excellent reference source. I have always considered the imaging excellent on the 6332s, but the 4425s are another step above. These things are incredible imagers. The mid range is very good for a two way system with a 12 inch woofer, and I understand why JBL has gone in this direction with there new designs: The M-2s and the 7 series.”
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36810-4425-Re-Diaphram/page2&highlight=2416H

davidpou
01-08-2016, 09:40 AM
after few listening sessions I keep the inversion of speaker cables at the terminal post (oviously), but i come back to horns in the center. More density. outside it seems to give an artificial stereo effect supplementary and non necessary, highs are louder and bass lower... mid is fading. So yes back to interior.
Yes 4430 are in another league, not just because they are bigger.

davidpou
01-23-2016, 04:24 AM
after few listening sessions I keep the inversion of speaker cables at the terminal post (oviously), but i come back to horns in the center. More density. outside it seems to give an artificial stereo effect supplementary and non necessary, highs are louder and bass lower... mid is fading. So yes back to interior.
Yes 4430 are in another league, not just because they are bigger.

Instead of equalization I bought a SVS PB2000 sub. Everything is played from an AV receiver with room eq the yam 3050... I have to say the result is very very nice. I has equilibrated the whole frequency range and the highs became pleasant!

SpeakerLabFan
01-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Congratulations on acquiring these - they look like they are in great shape. I listen to digital through a pair of 4425s in a bedroom system -> Manley Stingray tube amp, Grant Fidelity Tube DAC. Really like these speakers in the small room but I agree they aren't 4430s.

davidpou
01-24-2016, 12:31 PM
isn't you who posted a picture of the arrival of your 4425 at the back of the car ? sorry if not. this LH guy participated in my buying of the 4425 after the 4430... which is not an obvious step... For Movies they are great provided the sub. looking for a center now (as I put the 4312A in the back :bouncy:) and after looking at Bryston 's center, Legacy audio Center, SVS center... I am considering buying a 3rd 4425 to unify the front speakers of the HT system... I need to find a guy that smashed one feel sorry and sale the remaining one...

My 4430 have been upgraded listening to the wise advises of Grumpy here and I am fully happy of them.

SpeakerLabFan
01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
isn't you who posted a picture of the arrival of your 4425 at the back of the car ? sorry if not. this LH guy participated in my buying of the 4425 after the 4430... which is not an obvious step... For Movies they are great provided the sub. looking for a center now (as I put the 4312A in the back :bouncy:) and after looking at Bryston 's center, Legacy audio Center, SVS center... I am considering buying a 3rd 4425 to unify the front speakers of the HT system... I need to find a guy that smashed one feel sorry and sale the remaining one...

My 4430 have been upgraded listening to the wise advises of Grumpy here and I am fully happy of them.

Oui, c'est moi :) It's always exciting to bring home a great new audio addition. Good luck with your home theater setup.