PDA

View Full Version : LCR upgrade from SK2-1000 to M2 - Your verdict

Jonas_h
12-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Hi all.

I could need some input. I currently have a home theater where I am running three JBL SK2-1000 as LCR (In bi-amped configuration). They are all crossed over to four S1S-EX subwoofers.

The sound is fantastic and I actually cannot put a finger on where I need improvements in the front stage, but as everyone else in this hobby, I am searching for improvements and new "toys". Because I have two amplifier channels per speaker (Crown CTs1200) and the BSS Soundweb London, I have everything I need to run three JBL M2's speakers as LCR. I am not interested in any DIY so it would be stock M2's.

As I have no chance to listen to the M2's in LCR-duty, it would be a gamble to upgrade a system which I am completely satisfied with, so I would very much like your input to my situation. I did listen to the M2s in a stereo setup, and they sounded amazing. I never heard such clarity and detailed sound before, but the demo was in a room where I have no other speakers to compare.

I hope someone in here have had the change to listen to both speakers and can give some insight to what I will be giving up and what I will be gaining if I changed speakers. ALl inputs are appreciated :)

Mr. Widget
12-18-2015, 09:38 AM
I assume your LCR speakers are behind a perf screen and used in a HT scenario. If your room is currently set up correctly with ARCOs and would be again with the M2s, then the difference would be pretty subtle. Assuming this is the case, the M2 is likely a slight upgrade, but far from dramatic and one you probably wouldn't even notice if it was done without your knowledge.

I absolutely would not spend the time or money on it. Buy a better projector or feed the homeless...

Widget

bubbleboy76
12-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Very nice beryllium drivers in the SK2-1000...
How much approx do you have to pay in between to go to M2?

Ian Mackenzie
12-18-2015, 01:27 PM
I am inclined to think if you spent that much money on the LCR and your wife found out you could well end up homeless.......Lol

Jonas_h
12-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Haha the wife-issue is fixed. The purchase is approved, and she just likes to see the big smile on my face when I get new speakers :)

Widget: I am actually surprised by your answer. I thought the M2 would be an audible improvement. But watching a couple of movies yesterday, I really am satisfied with the sound. I do remember the M2's as being much more detailed.

The price delta depends on the price I can get for the SK2. But I guess it will end up around 12-13k. So not a small investment.

bubbleboy76
12-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Just guessing, I think it will sound a level better with M2.
Going DIY M2 would make more sense for me, especially when they will be behind a screen and the finish does not matter.

Mr. Widget
12-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Widget: I am actually surprised by your answer. I thought the M2 would be an audible improvement. But watching a couple of movies yesterday, I really am satisfied with the sound. I do remember the M2's as being much more detailed.I can't say for certain, but I would expect the improvement of the M2 over the SK2-1000 to be more subtle in an LCR configuration than in a stereo comparison. When you add the visual distraction of HT playback I really doubt you would gain an appreciable benefit.

Widget

baldrick
12-20-2015, 05:36 AM
If running fullrange, the M2 will be way better in the bassregion than the SK2-1000, but if you will highpass both speakers I guess there will not be that much of a difference. (I've only heard DIY versions of those speakers) But I would think the M2 will be the best solution all in all, but don't know if it will worth it if you highpass. My guess is that it could be hard to get the wanted price for 3xSK2-1000