PDA

View Full Version : Need CD Player Reccomondation

ooppalla
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Old Sony changer finally died. Need a new one that will run my 4425s and L-7s. Unit has to withstand bass from being in the middle of center firing L-7s woofers and not cost an arm and Leg. Any input would be welcome. A smoother tube sound might be nice, but I really don't want to change tubes every three years, plus I live in Tucson so heaters, even nicer sounding ones, are not welcome in the desert.
Thank you for your input.
Don

boputnam
11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey, Don...

Ken Patchalphabet took us through this a few months back - here's a Link to that CD Player Suggestions Thread. I re-found it using Search...

scott fitlin
11-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Old Sony changer finally died. Need a new one that will run my 4425s and L-7s. Unit has to withstand bass from being in the middle of center firing L-7s woofers and not cost an arm and Leg. Any input would be welcome. A smoother tube sound might be nice, but I really don't want to change tubes every three years, plus I live in Tucson so heaters, even nicer sounding ones, are not welcome in the desert.
Thank you for your input.
DonCheck out the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player at www.upscaleaudio.com (http://www.upscaleaudio.com)

I bought one with all the goodies, and its musical, and lively sounding!

Basic player is under $1000!

ooppalla
11-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey Scottie,

I have been looking at the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and it looks very cool. How is this unit under vibration? I am concerned that my L-7s center firing woofers will skip this puppy and the price of the upsamplier 350+ is just too much $. Should I buy an extra set of tubes? Are the feet, upgraded model needed to be safe from vibration? And have your tried their Flavor plug ins? It looks really cool and I love the quality specks of the components. Is it SADC?
Thank you,
Don

Ken Pachkowsky
11-20-2004, 01:16 AM
I have a second one as mint as mint can be if that interests you?

Ken

speakerdave
11-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Is it SADC?
This is the right question, and the answer should be, Yes.

David

scott fitlin
11-20-2004, 10:57 AM
This is the right question, and the answer should be, Yes.

DavidIt isnt SACD! But it does sound nice! I asked when they will have an SACD machine, I am also getting a Maverick SACD player!

The tubes replace the op amps in the Njoe Tjoeb, and comes with tube damper rings, to dampen microphonics, and I bought the fully loaded unit, it also has special isolation feet!

I have been listening to the unit through a pair of 4312,s in my room, and havent had any skip problems, I am gonna bring it to my place, and if it doesnt skip here, should work anywhere!

You will be offered a choice of tubes, I chose NOS Ediswans, distinctive, punchy sounding mids! I like snap in my music, and to me midrange is where the music lives! Vocals sound full!

The highs sound nice, kind of sweet sounding, and not brittle or metallic! The bass romps, its got a very rythmic character to it, I have heard deeper bass, but this has a little more punch and musicalness to it! Not clinical sounding!

:)

speakerdave
11-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Scott,

Yeah I agree. It sounds like it's a cool player. I just think that anyone who is buying a new CD player or DVD player should inform himself all about SACD before making a selection.

For a player with a tube analog stage the Njoe Tjoeb sounds like a real bargain. I'm glad you like it.

David

scott fitlin
04-20-2005, 10:53 PM
So I brought my Ah Njoe Tjoeb, with all its goodies, upsampler, tubes, vibration damping feet, tube hats, etc to my place! sat it right ontop of my Denon D-6000, and you know, this thing sounds lovely! The denon delivers deeper bass, but the bass the Tjoeb delivers is nice and rythmic, and moves nicely! Bass has a clarity, notes a very audible, but not the utmost extension. Its an OK tradeoff for me though, I enjoy CD,s through this thing! I think the denon reveals slightly more detail, but has a somewhat metallic midrange, though not bright and overbearing! The Tjoebs midrange reminds me of how music USED to sound. Very clear and very present! The Tjoebs highs are soft and delicate, very analog sounding! Also, the music is very seamless sounding through the Tjoeb 4000, depth and image is very analog, and very pleasing to hear.

With the tubes and the upsampler, the music is actually quite fluid sounding!

Never once did it skip in here, and my employees as well as some customers commented to me that the CD,s sounded really good, and asked what had I done! SO, I decided to leave it in here, as well as my pro machines, it just sounds really good!

Sweet is the word to describe! And even though it isnt SACD I really recommend this player!

:D