PDA

View Full Version : Refoam LE1400H with Le14H-3 rubber edge?

sebackman
11-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Hi,

I have a pair of LE1400H that need new edges.

LE1400H was made for the never commissioned Ti7000 and as far as I can understand it is basically a "version" of the LE14H-3 using the LE14H-3 basket but with a 2227 magnet and probably a LE14H-3 cone (or near) but with a foam surround as opposed to the rubber on the LE14H-3/4.

When re-foaming do you think it would make sense to use the rubber surround from the newer LE14H-3/4 as opposed to foam surround when changing them, or is it better to go with the originals?

And if so, are the LE14H-3/4 rubber surround available at all?

The units are fine, one is new and one is used but seem good. Even if one is new I will change the edge on both of the to be sure that they behave the same.68183

They are not going into a factory JBL system but being paired with an M2 waveguide and a BSS DSP, so filter/cabinet is not an issue.

Kind regards
//RoB

hlaari
11-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I think at the 14" rubber surround are not available

I think at LE1400h have similar cone like 1400Nd
Le14h-3/4 have different cone

I have also new and unused LE1400h woofers:)

Ari

rdgrimes
11-13-2015, 02:31 PM
You'd want precise measurements on the different cones. But the foam is easy-peasy to install on the 14s. No real reason to mess with rubber.

Just be sure to rescue and save the plastic "gasket ring", as those are unobtainable.

sebackman
11-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Sounds like it is better to stay with foam then. And maybe not even a choice if the rubber edges are not available.

The reconer I use claim that they have new original replacement foam JBL foam so the LE1400H’s will be sent there. I have not done this before and saw from a tutorial here on the forum that it looked rather easy, but I think I will ship them off to LN Högtalarservice anyway. They are excellent and have always provided stellar quality and service.

Is the “new” foam better than the old one or will it need to be replaced in 10 years again?

Kind regards
//RoB