PDA

View Full Version : Found some Baltic Birch boxes.

Doc Mark
11-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Good Morning, All,

This past weekend, whilst down in San Diego, I went to a local swap meet with my Mom-in-law, and in one stall I found four 11-ply boxes made from Baltic Birch. They had been made for some project, and painted black on the outside, but it appears that they were not really used for anything. One pair of boxes measures 12.5"x12.5"x13.5", which I make out to be 1.22 ft3, and the other pair of boxes, which are larger, measures 22.5"x21.5"x23.25", which makes it around 6.5ft3. If I had to guess, I'd say that someone was trying to build some speaker enclosures and just gave up on the idea, for some reason!

In any case, I'm going to add in some extensive bracing, screwed and glued in to each cabinet, cut baffles for them, and then see what might come of it. My plan is to move along with the 4-way system I've been wanting to setup, as those 1.22ft3 boxes look like a good home for a pair of 2123H mid-bass drivers, if I seal them up and use them as an infinite baffle setup. The 6.5ft3 enclosures would make a great home for a pair of 2235H's, as a subwoofer for the 4411's, or other speakers. Once you take away some internal volume from each enclosure, with bracing and rear driver space taken into consideration, this may be something interesting. Also thought about trying some LE14H-3's in those larger boxes, "just for grins", as those are going to be used for the L250's. Just musing, actually, but it's really fun to find such treasures as these old multi-ply boxes, which cost me all of only $30, and I'm most especially happy to finally be able to use the smaller box to get my 4-way completed..... or, at least being able to test it and do some tweaking. That will be fun. Thanks for reading, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
11-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Greetings, All,

I moved the boxes from one truck, to another, as we're expecting rain/snow tonight, and this will keep them out of the elements. Here are a couple of poor cell phone photos of what I found.

Not the best multi-ply sheets I've ever seen, but for the price, they are worth using for something. Whomever made these just used butt-joints, and a nail gun, with very little, if ANY glue. But, with lots of bracing, and some shaping, they might be OK. I'm most especially interested in the smaller of the two boxes, as it should make a good home for 2123H speakers, stacked on top of the 4645/2245H enclosures. We'll see how it all works out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc