PDA

View Full Version : C34 cabinet question

sparks12kv
11-08-2015, 04:42 PM
I found this c34 cabinet over the weekend, fairly good finish but a few nicks and and a chip on the front. I'm trying to find out if it's factory made.

Two things look off, there's no lansing label on the front and the cutout for the crossover (which looks grey and has a low serial number) is roughly cut. Maybe the label was sanded off to refinish the cabinet sometime in the past, but the cutout, is that normal?

script56
11-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes many don't have front Lansing labels and crossover hole looks good to me. You should see the early Acoustic research cuts if you want to see some uneven holes. But need to see more to be sure. One thing I just noticed is the screws on bottom of crossover under terminals are not set correctly which does look off a bit. The screws should not be pressed up against wood like that I don't think. I would check grille cloth to see if original cabinet.

Audiobeer
11-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking its home built but a lot of the drivers sold by JBL back in the day were for kits.

sheltiedave
11-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Even the kits came with the screw ring collars. That paticular plywood back is definitely not original.

sparks12kv
11-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Here's a better shot of the back and front:

Also, anyone know why images keep getting rotated, and how to stop that? I swear I'm not trying to give everyone a pain in the neck!

Even the kits came with the screw ring collars. That paticular plywood back is definitely not original.

BMWCCA
11-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Looks pretty original to me. I've seen plenty others with the plywood backs. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing any with anything other than a plywood back! :dont-know: