PDA

View Full Version : advice on tuning my jbl 4341 studio monitors

rjw
11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
at the moment, I have resorted to mixing with a pair of small fostex speakers.

If I try to mix while listening thru my jbl 4341's, and then playback on car stereo, etc, it's not balanced AT ALL

the 4341's have 3 +/- 3db pots.

I suppose that I could mix thru the fostex's and playback thru the jbl's, then tune the attenuators to sound balanced, but was wondering if there is a better/more scientific way

thx

Ed Zeppeli
11-04-2015, 09:44 AM
You may have to dig in a bit and find out what's happening with the speakers, room and both.

Start searching REW. That should get you started.

Good luck,

Warren

rjw
11-04-2015, 09:51 AM
ok thx, I'm on it

pauly
11-04-2015, 03:09 PM
G'day Rjw,

Can you please let us know what you do and how? I've also got a big pair of JBL monitors that could perhaps use some taming. :-)

Thanks
Pauly

ok thx, I'm on it

rjw
11-04-2015, 03:25 PM
G'day Rjw,

Can you please let us know what you do and how? I've also got a big pair of JBL monitors that could perhaps use some taming. :-)

Thanks
Pauly

at the moment, I am mixing thru small speakers and enjoying the 4341's for their great sound...lol

looking into rew, bass traps, but most importantly, I am going to let my ears do the thinking, for while...

I'll post anything that I do, if/when it happens

thx

pauly
11-04-2015, 03:38 PM
G'day again,

Same - I use a pair of questeds for mixing, and the JBLs for fun :-) - It would be great if I could still have the fun _and_ make them good for mixing.

Pauly

at the moment, I am mixing thru small speakers and enjoying the 4341's for their great sound...lol

looking into rew, bass traps, but most importantly, I am going to let my ears do the thinking, for while...

I'll post anything that I do, if/when it happens

thx

rjw
11-04-2015, 03:41 PM
G'day again,

Same - I use a pair of questeds for mixing, and the JBLs for fun :-) - It would be great if I could still have the fun _and_ make them good for mixing.

Pauly

I think that if you have a good mix, then you can train yourself to mix with the big boys...at least that is what I am hoping for