PDA

View Full Version : L166 needs some love.

scid714
10-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Hi all. New member here. I was given a pair of horizons l166 they are pretty beat up dust caps pushed in corners chipped etc. But they sound awesome even with a different woofer. Can tweeter domes be replaced? Mids dust cap replacement ect..
Thanks sam

scid714
10-25-2015, 08:10 AM
67851pretty beat up. But would like to get them alittle more presentable. May build new cabs easy enough if i can get drivers looking the way they should. Any advice on a replacment wooffer for the 122?

macaroonie
10-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Welcome aboard.

Congrats on your speakers , with a bit of research and patience you should be able to get these back together into near original condition.

The 066 tweets are NLA nor are the dome kits , so it's e bay or do a repair. It has been done and is documented in these forums

Tip , if you use Google externally to the forum as your search engine you will get better results

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?35182-4313B-s-066-in-need-of-a-miracle

Same thing with the mids , its very common for the domes to get dinged. Watch for rotted foam behind the dome.

You don't mention what bass units you have , but the 122 will show up on e bay from time to time , or ask in the forum here. Some of the folks here could open a museum with their stash of vintage goodies.

Best of luck. Mac

scid714
10-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for info. I don't think I have the nerves to try and repair the domes myself. Better leave that for more steady hands. Lol. The woofs are unknown. Found a lone 122a on ebay. They say patience is a virtue so watch and wait for me. I see why so many people rave about the L166'S.

BMWCCA
10-25-2015, 11:07 AM
JBL suggests the 128H-1 as the woofer replacement when used in pairs. They might be easier to find and may improve your low-frequency response, too.

If you like those with the unknown woofer they now have, imagine them with the correct drivers!

scid714
10-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Exactly what i was thinking. Since they were freebies i wouldnt mind tossing some money there way. I can imagine with the right woofer I'm gonna be ridiculously happy.