PDA

View Full Version : Altec 848a speakers need repair help!

60yearAltecfan
10-17-2015, 06:04 AM
My Dad brought home some Altec 848A speakers about 50 yrs ago, and I inherited them. I heard the Beatles for the first time on these speakers, back in the 1960's and have been listening to them at high volume ever since. They're the ones with the oak cabinets and the spanish style plastic grilles in front of the speaker cloth.
About a year ago they started putting my Sony Amp into its 'protection' mode whenever I cranked them up.
I soon discovered that one of speakers clearly has a damaged speaker (not sure which part) but it sounds like crickets compared to the other one.
I love these things, would never want to replace them with something modern unless all hope is gone.
Is there anybody out there that can recommend a qualified repair source for these speakers? I'm in New Jersey, close to Manhattan.
Would love to get diagnoses, replacement parts, and repair.
Thanks to anyone who can help
Tony in Jersey

turnitdown
10-17-2015, 06:47 AM
First, be sure to test your source equipment by reversing the channels connected to the speakers to see if the problem follows the change to the other speaker. Once the source equipment is eliminated as the cause, we can move onto the speakers and their constituent parts. Flamencos are a beautiful speaker.

Alien_Shore
10-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Repairs or replacement drivers for your speakers are best directed to GPA (http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/)
Calling on the phone is by far the best way to contact them.