PDA

View Full Version : My New Baffel Wall For Cinema Speakers

wrager
10-12-2015, 04:04 PM
I quit my job recently so had some time on my hands. I have wanted to do a baffle wall for a while, so I tore into my existing front stage and constructed the BW. It is made using 2 layers of 5/8" dry wall (green glue in the middle). Knuaf insulation (same as insulshield) to prevent sound from bouncing between the AT screen and wall. The speakers are 4622's (using 2450-SL CD's) and are actively bi-amped with Crown DSi amps. I also use a MiniDSP 88a for room correction. Subs flanking the screen are modeled after the 5749 with 2x2242s. Nearfield I have a 2245 and AETD18 in ported cabs; each side of the MLP. The screen is a 130" diagonal Seymour XD (previous 100' screen in picture). The sound is so incredibly smooth and powerful now. It just seems even more effortless at near reference level. My next and maybe last upgrade will be Be phragms for the CDs. What an awesome journey this has been!:bouncy:

DingDing
10-12-2015, 06:58 PM
:applaud:

Looks very ... potent! That's a real pleasure room! :D Congratulations on build well done.

Have never heard a baffle wall, but always been curious as it's a good design due to the lack of cancellations from the wall behind the speakers. Did you gently dampen the baffle wall with insulation? Can't make it out properly from the pics, but looks like it. That made a huge improvement I'm sure?

How do you think the AE TD18 compares to 2245 and 2242?

Some more details on your crossover points would be awesome too.

Mctwins
10-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Cool!!!:applaud:

Love Cinema Screen Arrays:bouncy:

bubbleboy76
10-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Incredibly nice looking cinema :)
Can you describe more how you use the mindsp for room correction?

wrager
10-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the props guys! The DSi amps have presets for my speakers that set the x-overs, limits and other elements. It really is plug and play. The cavity behind the wall is sealed and very rigid so as not to act like a drum. You can see the insulation on the wall face to stop reflections back at the screen.

The TD18 is my favorite among the three. It can take a ton of power and is more tactile. Very musical sub. I run it up to 120hz.

The MiniDSP 88a includes Dirac Live for room correction. It has all come together really nicely!

Mctwins-love the 3 ways! How far away is you listening position?

audiomagnate
10-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Now we're talking! :applaud: Puts my little single 2245 fireplace IB to shame here in Roswell, GA...

DingDing
10-13-2015, 07:07 AM
The cavity behind the wall is sealed and very rigid so as not to act like a drum. You can see the insulation on the wall face to stop reflections back at the screen.

The TD18 is my favorite among the three. It can take a ton of power and is more tactile. Very musical sub. I run it up to 120hz.

The MiniDSP 88a includes Dirac Live for room correction. It has all come together really nicely!

Thank you for responding. Must be a real joy to be in that room. Bet it sounds effortless no matter what you throw at it.

Was afraid you'd say that. Acoustic Elegance is getting a lot of props for their drivers. Does it have the Apollo upgrade? Been very curious to try TD15M with apollo against JBL 2226 due to the controlled inductance. Shame the lead time at AE is so unstable, once he gets his house in order I will have to try a pair. TD18H+ is a beast too.

No hissing in the horns? Had to use passive line level attenuators with -20dB on 2446 loaded in 2360A because of miniDSP 4x10HD.

wrager
10-13-2015, 07:43 AM
I did not opt for the Apollo upgrade, wish I had. I agree, the lead time is an issue. It has kept me from buying more.
I must be lucky, the Crown amps are dead silent. No hiss at all.

Mctwins
10-14-2015, 01:23 AM
Mctwins-love the 3 ways! How far away is you listening position?

Hallo!

It is around 5 meters. It is not so trivial.:D

You can look more here, more pictures and measurements of the room.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/651132-my-room.html