PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2450 without the snout the same exit & phase plug as the 2450SL/2451?

sebackman
09-30-2015, 12:15 AM
Dear all,

Can anyone confirm if the phase plug and exit in a 2450 (2” driver) and 2450SL (1,5” driver) are identical with the 2450 snout taken off? I know that the snout exit is 2” but I seem to have read somewhere that the driver house exit is 1,5”. Is that correct?

I understand that they are physically different when the snout is removed and that there are no threads on the front of the “naked” 2450 that will fit any standard horn. However since we all are using adapter plates to mount on the M2 waveguide, my idea was to drill the adapter plate to accept the bolt circle of the 2450 snout if the exit and phase plug are the same.

2450’s seem easier to source than 2450SL or indeed 2451’s.

Kind regards
//RoB

ivica
09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Dear all,

Can anyone confirm if the phase plug and exit in a 2450 (2” driver) and 2450SL (1,5” driver) are identical with the 2450 snout taken off? I know that the snout exit is 2” but I seem to have read somewhere that the driver house exit is 1,5”. Is that correct?

I understand that they are physically different when the snout is removed and that there are no threads on the front of the “naked” 2450 that will fit any standard horn. However since we all are using adapter plates to mount on the M2 waveguide, my idea was to drill the adapter plate to accept the bolt circle of the 2450 snout if the exit and phase plug are the same.

2450’s seem easier to source than 2450SL or indeed 2451’s.

Kind regards
//RoB

Hi RoB,

I think that all 2440/ 41, /45, /46, /47 (1.5), /50-2, /50-1.5, /51(1.5) have the same phase plug "output" size as has been shown on J.B. Lansing hand-drawings ( 1.525 inch).
I think all of them can interchange the diaphragm. I think that some of the AH Forum member have made 2450-1.5" from the 2450-2" driver.
Someone said that removing the net near the diver phase-plug is not so easy to be done, either to unscrew the screws holding 2450 'snout' (I have tried but not succeeded).

regards
ivica

sebackman
10-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Hi Ivica,

Thank you for the answer.

I agree that the diaphragms are interchangeable, however I’m pretty sure that the older design does have a different motor and most likely a different phase plug. The "new era" phase plug, I think, started with the 2446 and 2447. –Agree?

But I guess you have answered the question, the 2450 does have an identical exit (1,5”) from the driver house when the snout is removed and that is what I wanted confirmed. And it is likely that the phase plug is identical to the 2450SL/2451.

I know about the mesh, that it is not flat, but why can’t it stay? Does anyone have pictures of a 2450 without the snout? With and without the mesh maybe?

Why is the snout so difficult to take off. There are 4 bolts and I guess it is glued or has a gasket between the snout and the motor. Probably the gasket is tuned into mush by know so that will work as glue even if that was not the intention…

Can someone please bring some light on how to remove the snout and what to be careful about? Pictures would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
//RoB

sebackman
10-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Hi,

Sorry to spam.

-Found all the info I need in a post from subwoof. Brilliant.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12214-Can-I-turn-2450-into-2451&p=124581&viewfull=1#post124581

Best regards

//RoB

ivica
10-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Hi Ivica,

Thank you for the answer.

I agree that the diaphragms are interchangeable, however I’m pretty sure that the older design does have a different motor and most likely a different phase plug. The "new era" phase plug, I think, started with the 2446 and 2447. –Agree?

But I guess you have answered the question, the 2450 does have an identical exit (1,5”) from the driver house when the snout is removed and that is what I wanted confirmed. And it is likely that the phase plug is identical to the 2450SL/2451.

I know about the mesh, that it is not flat, but why can’t it stay? Does anyone have pictures of a 2450 without the snout? With and without the mesh maybe?

Why is the snout so difficult to take off. There are 4 bolts and I guess it is glued or has a gasket between the snout and the motor. Probably the gasket is tuned into mush by know so that will work as glue even if that was not the intention…

Can someone please bring some light on how to remove the snout and what to be careful about? Pictures would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
//RoB

Hi RoB,

From my point of view, phase-plug in 2441~2445 relative to the 2446~2451 differs in the material used and different positions of the phase plug slits especially near the voice coil, but I think that any of them has the same almost 1.5inch throat.
Something about such expectation can be read in the :

"An Application of Bob Smith`s PHASING PLUG" written by F.M.Murray.

and where it is shown the responses, of I think , both type if phase plug.

regards
ivica