PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised at the sound quality

Boss96
11-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Bought a few used stage monitors recently, my kid plays in a band and could use them. Got 2 Peaveys and one JBL. The JBL is a G734, 15" 2 way with horn.
I figured it would not have much bass and sound "honky" but it actually is quite good.
I'm tempted to buy some new ones for outdoor parties, got my eye on a pair of 2 15" w/horn setups (not sure of model number). I'm sure my neighbors would love it:D
Bob

boputnam
11-15-2004, 08:48 PM
I figured it would not have much bass and sound "honky" Hey, Boss...

You inclinations were right. Monitors are not intended to produce low frequencies - the cabinets are clearly not right-sized nor appropriately ported. They are more akin to electric guitar cabinets and support high SPL with clarity. "Honky" is a characteristic of resonsance, and not necessarily a trait of proper wedges. Some Peavey's I've worked with are notorious that way; however, EV's "Eliminator" and "QRx" series with their RMD technology moot most/all of that. They are wonderful.

As-well, be aware monitors are by-design "beamy" - that is, the horns employed strive to minimize dispersion thereby maximizing gain-before-feedback, particularly from adjacent, off-axis mics. Point is, they are not the best for your garden party needs, but if you like 'em, great. They are intended to play loud without distorting.

If it were me, and you're serious about garden party sound, I'd opt for some full-range mains with wide dispersion horns (+/- 75-degree in horizontal plane). The aforementioned EV QRx line (http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice/products.nsf/allpages/066D59279DD6D93886256B96005D4B0A) has some wonderful options (QRx 115/75). As well, JBL very recently introduced a near look-alike in their SRX line (http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/SRX700_Flash_Presentation/home.html), which I've not tried, but which seems to technically match what EV and EAW have long excelled at. It's about friggen' time... :rolleyes:

Boss96
11-16-2004, 05:49 AM
Those are the ones I had in mind, the ones with 2 15's and a horn, SRX series. I used to seeing home woofers with soft surrounds whereas professional stuff is much stiffer which made me think the bass would be limited. However I guess because of the size of the woofer itself it makes up for it.
Bob

boputnam
11-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Those are the ones I had in mind, the ones with 2 15's and a horn, SRX series. Oh, then my error. I misunderstood your use of "monitors" - I thought you meant the wedges that face the band, with the foldback signal.

Sorry. Enjoy your garden party... :slink:

Boss96
11-16-2004, 08:12 AM
No, you were correct, Bo, the Peaveys are wedge shaped floor monitors, the one JBL is just a square box, probably more of a main speaker.

I sure wish I had the $$ for those big ones in the store though:D
Bob